CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Solar Sketch Dec. 16th

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:56 PM

Hi Folks,

The Sun has produced an interesting active region and sunspot group. I posted this report and sketch in the Solar Observing forum.

I did this quick sketch in the field (with very cold hands) using 2B and HB pencils and added the limb darkening after I came indoors, blending with my finger. After scanning, I added the text. Something new--I used a grey background instead of white--and would appreciate feedback on it.

Best to all,

#2 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:36 PM

Very nice solar sketch I purchased a white light solar filter for my C6R but the sun has been quite now for some time perhaps i"ll try a sketch thanks for posting.

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:19 PM

Michael,

Very nice sketch, I was looking at the SOHO white light image today. You captured the group nicely.
I think the grey background is great; easy on the eyes and it does not draw your attention away from the target. :waytogo:

Frank :)

#4 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:12 AM

Thanks, folks. Tommy, hope you get some sunshine there so you can try out that WL filter--this AR is a good target.

Frank, I like the grey background, too, and it approximates what you see around the Sun through the Baader filter--I think I'll keep using it.

#5 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Cosmos

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:54 PM

Michael,

An excellent observation of the solar surface showing the sunspot group AR 1035. I hope to get a chance to look at the Sun again in the near future. The best of luck and Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year!

Carlos

#6 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 December 2009 - 02:56 PM

Thanks, Carlos. Maybe the Sun will keep putting on a show for you down in sunny Florida. :) Merry Christmas!

#7 Jeremy Perez

Jeremy Perez

Vanguard

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:21 AM

Very nice sketch and great background choice, Michael. I agree it really helps focus attention on the solar disc and what's going on there. It's great to see some substantial sunspots gracing the sun.

#8 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:21 PM

Thanks for the feedback, Jeremy. I'm going to keep going with the grey background. I updated my original post with a second sketch and posted a 2 day comparison with Erika's post in the Solar Observing forum and I like the new background.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics