Mercurius in the trees

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:08 PM

I have seen so many beautiful naked-eye sketches on this forum... so why not try it myself? So here is my first naked-eye sketch.
The target: a conjunction between Mercurius and the small Moon. But because Mercurius was allready behind the trees, he wasn't visible with the naked eye. I managed to see him with the bino, but didn't included the planet on the sketch.
The observation was made from an atticwindow and I was lucky that the neighbour in front of my house has a flat roof. The neighbour to the left has a normal roof (as you can see on the sketch).
I didn't try to draw a small Moon like this. I just cut it out of white paper and stuck it to the paper at the end. The drawing was done after the observation with colour pensils. I used cotton swabs to sweep out the colours.
I'm not an artist, so this is just an impression (although the roof and the moon are realistic)! Hope you like it.

18/12/2009, 16.20 UT, Moon 4.3%

Attached Files

#2 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Bartow FL.

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:34 PM

Very nice Jeff. :bow:

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:18 AM

Jef,

Excellent, I should have read what you wrote before I started searching for Mercury. Dah
The sketch is very, very nice. You included much that adds to the naked eye crescent moon. You should do more sketches of this sort. :bow: :rainbow: :cool:

Frank :)

#4 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 19 December 2009 - 06:02 AM

Shannon and Frank, thanks for the kind words.

@ Frank
The title "Mercurius in the trees" was not I kind of joke... Maybe "Mercurius lost in the trees" had been better and prevented you from looking for Mercurius :grin: But still funny anyway!

#5 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 19 December 2009 - 08:17 AM

Jef,

An excellent observation of a Crescent Moon with Mercury hiding in the trees (probably being so "swift footed"). Naked eye observations are fun and help us better appreciate the views through binoculars or telescopes. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics