Photo

Sun spots AR 11035

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

Posted 19 December 2009 - 05:57 AM

Dear observers,

the sun appeared for some hours so I had the chance to sketch the active region AR 11035. I used a 8-cm spotting scope with an Astro Solar filter in front and a yellow filter at the eyepiece. Magnification was 60x, observation time 10:45 UT.

Attached Files

#2 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 December 2009 - 06:07 AM

Nice sketch Uwe. The sun is shining in Belgium for the moment. Maybe I will have a try to see the sunspots before it starts snowing again or they will reach te limb (monday?).

#3 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 December 2009 - 08:13 AM

Uwe,

An excellent observation of the sunspot group AR 1035(?). You have captured the umbra and penumbra nicely. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#4 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

Posted 19 December 2009 - 08:51 AM

CarlosEH wrote: ...sunspot group AR 1035(?)...

Dear Carlos,

active regions are numbered starting 1972. The representation was 4-digits, leading zeroes were added. In June 2002, AR 10000 was reaches. Some of use still use the 4-digit-number an omit the leading "1". I use the more correct 5-digit number.

#5 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:14 AM

Uwe

Thanks for giving my the idea to go out and look at the sun. I saw for the first time in my life a sunspot! :yay:

But my ETX-70 is not up to the task. I didn't get a sharp immage from the duo. At x10 the immage was acceptable. At x27 it became difficult to see the sunspots. Higher magnifications were a total failure, I didn't reached in focus. I know a Meade ETX-70 isn't "high quality optics", but for deepsky and the Moon it gives acceptable immages. Are sunspots more demanding?

The sunspots looked oblong to me, but that's not true in reality :( I used a selfmade black polymer filter from Thousand Oaks.

Attached Files

#6 rerun

rerun

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:22 AM

Hallo Uwe,

great sketching,this morning I saw the AR 1035 ,too .Your sketching meets what I saw with my William FD 72.

CS Markus

#7 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:22 PM

Uwe, nice observational sketch--thanks for posting. The AR has been very dynamic and changed its appearance quite a bit over the past 4 days. I was lucky to get 2 days of observations--we are in the grip of a major snowstorm now and I can't see the Sun except online.

Uwe
Thanks for giving my the idea to go out and look at the sun. I saw for the first time in my life a sunspot! :yay:

But my ETX-70 is not up to the task. I didn't get a sharp immage from the duo. At x10 the immage was acceptable. At x27 it became difficult to see the sunspots. Higher magnifications were a total failure, I didn't reached in focus. I know a Meade ETX-70 isn't "high quality optics", but for deepsky and the Moon it gives acceptable immages. Are sunspots more demanding?

The sunspots looked oblong to me, but that's not true in reality :( I used a selfmade black polymer filter from Thousand Oaks.

Jef, congratulations on your first observation of a sunspot group. I don't know anything about the optics of your scope, but poor seeing often occurs with solar observing because of the warming effect on our atmosphere in the daytime. Some people try to observe in the morning before things get too turbulent.

I'm not familiar with the filter material you used, but Baader AstroSolar film is very good, inexpensive, and easy to make a filter with.

#8 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

Posted 20 December 2009 - 08:17 AM

The sky was sunny for some hours today. So I sketched the AR in white light and in H-alpha. The changings during one day are remakable.
~
Dear Jef,

an ETX-70 is not this bad. I used a cheapy 8-cm spooting scope which has a similar optical power. If you try it again please pay attention to the following things:
- The telescope should be cooled down. 15 minutes or better half an hour are necessary for that.
- The ETX-70 has a short focal lenght (like my spotting scope too). If you increase the magnification, false color apperears, which leads to less contrasty images. For the sun a yellow filter betters the situation much. At the moon you can use an dark green filter. This way you should be able to magnify up to 50x (sun) or 100x (moon).
- Do not magnify too less! At 15x or 20x you see not much at sun, moon or planets.

Attached Files

#9 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 20 December 2009 - 11:51 PM

Uwe,

Very nice sketches of the sunspot group, let's hope the sun has turned the corner and begins to present more and more interesting white light viewing. :bow: :cool:
---
Jef, Congratulations on your first spots. :rainbow:

Frank :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics