Photo

Help me pick my first lunar sketch target

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 21 December 2009 - 02:02 PM

I have decided to expand my sketching to include the moon as this will increasing my observing time and enjoyment I hope.

Using the October 2009 copy of Astronomy Magazine, I am asking for you to help me pick my first lunar sketching target. I've been sick from my Celiac disease and a bad chest cold, but am better now. It will be Wednesday night or Friday night when I get out. I would like to spend an hour on this target and then move on to some DSO's I have down. So here are my questions:

1. Is it better to just sketch a lunar target and be done or do people here do a lunar sketch and then move on to DSO's? I'm off for Christmas break so no sleeping in is no biggie.

Now for the aids. First sketch of a lunar object so help me decide which one would be best. No promise I post it though ;) :o

1. Archimedes Crater
2. Sinus Iridum
3. Clavius Crater (with Rutherfurd, Clavius D,C,N,J and JA).
4. Copernicus Crater
5. Torricelii Crater
6. Gassendi Crater
7. Lacus Mortis
8. Messier and Messier A
9. Moretus Crater
10. Pitatus Crater
11. Plato Crater
12. The Lunar X or Purbach or Werner Cross

I don't believe that 5,8, or 7 will be visible. Your suggestions are welcomed. Happy Holidays to each.

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 21 December 2009 - 04:55 PM

Jay,

If you are anything like I am you may change your mind while looking at the moon. I would go for Archimedes, Clavius, Moretus or Plato on Friday. :)

Frank :)

#3 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

Posted 22 December 2009 - 01:48 AM

My approach is an other: I look at the moon, especially at the terminator and sketch what attracts me. It is hard to say in advance which feature will show interesting shadows or attractive forms.

#4 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:00 AM

Jay
Good idea to start sketching the Moon. I started recently after I did for a year DSO and I can guarantee it is a lot of fun. But a little warning: compared to a usual DSO there's much detail to see. Great luck.

#5 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:53 PM

Frank,

Thank you! Yep, I'm sure I'll change my mind on Friday but I'll look at each of those and decide which one I'll focus on. Uwe, I can also see myself in the future doing this as well. For this time I want a narrow list to focus on because unless I have an atlas I don't know the moon like I do the sky.

Jef, its time to start looking at the moon. I basically lose about 1 to 1 1/2 weeks of observing by not including the moon in what I do. I love doubles but want something else to focus on and I think I will enjoy this. Your also correct Jef, the detail will be challenging.

#6 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:43 PM

I would concentrate on the moon when it is in the sky and dso after the moon sets or goes away. Its better to just look atthe moon first then find a interesting target the cool thing about the moon is that it changes every hour or so Copernicus or Plato will change their appearence as the terminator moves through it, beware if you become hooked on lunar sketching it can descend into an obsession.Hence the lunie bin.

#7 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:15 PM

Jay

I agree with Frank about Plato on Friday. Think of it as a new birth at Christmas to discover the moon! But then I usually do what Tommy suggests; I go out and look, and I think about it for maybe up to an hour sometimes, sometimes longer. They say that Leonardo would go into his studio, pull out a work in progess and look at it for hours, put it away and go do something else for the day.

We have finally got some clear weather here in Portland but as usual this time of year it is below freezing.

I have spent the last few days doing some mixed art subjects for a sketching class I have been taking but still with the moon. It was a crescent I sketched with Greek philosophy and architecture. My art teacher kept asking why the central surface was so dark with those black holes. So I artifically brightened the area around Tycho to add some spherical dimension. It would fit for the Art Forum, so I put it there. Perhaps the whole moon will inspire you one day. Good luck.

Mark
Cosmic Construction in Hellenistic Form- Perspectives in Gold, Blue and Green, Droppping the Chalk

www.markseibold.com
My CN Gallery

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics