Posted 22 December 2009 - 04:20 PM

Meade ETX-90EC

#2 eeeehaw

eeeehaw

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: WA

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:53 PM

Mike's review of the Meade ETX-90EC is quite good. But I'd like to add a few points to consider after owning/using one of these for 5 yrs...

Particularly Good:
+ portability (great for backpacking/hiking to the tops of the Cascade Mountains here to get those horizon-to-horizon views with no light pollution)
+ high quality optics
+ price (few others give you this quality, features, and performance for so little cost)

Particularly Bad:
- slack/slop in drive mechanism, causing jerky clock drive motion; this due to plastic (instead of metal) housing that couples internal drive mechanism to the tripod head and variable nylon gear lash (this is a well-known problem among ETX owners; most ETXs really need modification to tighten & stabilize this, and there are some excellent recipes with pix posted on the I'net for fixing that, contributed by both pro astronomers and mechanical engineers) (this is one of the few things where Celestron & other competitive brands have a clear advantage over the Meade)
- overly sensitive/difficult focusing; already mentioned by Mike in his review, this is an issue that screams for a solution, especially for beginners like my teen kids (fortunately, the problem can be substantially reduced via an electric focuser, or next best by a flexible shaft focusing knob replacement)
- optical alignment stability (for a 'scope obviously designed for portability, you need to be particularly careful in handling it, and in the type of padded case you transport it in (I found the Meade hard case unsuitable, and wound up using a beefy Pelican case after having to send the scope to a Meade shop for alignment after only a dozen hiking trips).

With all that said, good value for a starter 'scope.

--Stephen

#3 proud uncle

proud uncle

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:41 PM

Good informative review.  My niece just had an ETX 90EC given to her, and I know nothing about computerized telescopes.  So, this review has useful information.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics