all the new menus etc.

#77 Kenny2004

Kenny2004

Vendor - Icodome

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:20 AM

OH well...I have the old board and don't have the Polarscope brightness - double checked.

#78 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:28 PM

I am with heq5 upgraded to pro using upgrade kit and do not have the option to control polar scope brightness. Good news is that at least for me i also do not need to adjust it because it is bright just enough to hide every other star except polaris which makes polar alignment very easy.

#79 m2434

m2434

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: on the road

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:17 PM

Glad to hear you got it working alpal. I'm 99% sure the "motor controller" version is the control board people were referring to. Yours is listed as 2.03. Mine is listed as 1.something so it dosn't work...

#80 alpal

alpal

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne Australia.

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:55 PM

Glad to hear you got it working alpal. I'm 99% sure the "motor controller" version is the control board people were referring to. Yours is listed as 2.03. Mine is listed as 1.something so it dosn't work...

I think you can buy the latest board & retrofit it.
If not a potentiometer or resistor would be easy to add
in series.
I am an electronics tech/engineer so maybe it's easy for
me & not others.
I am just glad I had the latest board.
I am still really pleased with my NEQ6.
It's great to be able to download & install the latest software
in just a few minutes.

#81 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:14 AM

I think you can buy the latest board & retrofit it.
If not a potentiometer or resistor would be easy to add
in series.

You probably could...but go to that trouble and expense for a _polar scope illuminator_? No this ol' boy. If'n I don't like the illumination level of the polar scope, I find it pretty derned easy to shine a variable brightness flashlight obliquely down the objective end of the polar scope and make everything More Better Gooder. :lol:

#82 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:11 PM

I'm not sure why so many folks are spun up about this polar scope business in any case. The best it can do is a mediocre alignment, so you're doing drift, anyway. In fact, I just pulled a polar scope from a Vixen mount to make a handy cable-way.

-RIch

#83 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: AR

Posted 23 January 2010 - 01:16 PM

I'm not sure why so many folks are spun up about this polar scope business in any case. The best it can do is a mediocre alignment, so you're doing drift, anyway. In fact, I just pulled a polar scope from a Vixen mount to make a handy cable-way.

-RIch

On the contrary, I have achieved a VERY good polar alignment using only the polar scope on my Atlas mount.

#84 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 23 January 2010 - 03:43 PM

Me, too. With a careful polar alignment at night on my Atlas, I've kept the Sun centered in a 1 degree FOV eyepiece the next day for four hours with barely discernable drift.

The trick for me is to make sure the polar scope is truly collimated to the optical axis of the mount, and the scope is collimated to the mount axis as well (cone error elimination).

#85 m2434

m2434

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: on the road

Posted 23 January 2010 - 05:21 PM

Re: buying new board - probably wouldn't bother. Cheaper options seem to work fine.

Re: polar alignment - the polar scope is nice and quick and if you spend some time calibrating it on say, a cloudy night, it can be quite accurate. If I am imaging < 10 minute subs I don't see any reason to drift align. The polar scope works just fine, why waste the time?

#86 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:49 PM

Longer focal length, higher resolution cameras, long image sequences- these will show what's wrong with a polar scope alignment.

And it's not like I haven't spent time on this: I even made a special polar alignment scope alignment target to get precise centering of the polar alignment scope with the telescope axis. For those of you inclined to polar alignment scopes, I have included it here.

But this business about not being quite happy with the alignment scope's LED seems a bit like not being totally happy with the rear window washer on your car- if it works perfectly, it doesn't really work that well, anyway.

-Rich

Attached Files

#87 Zoeff

Zoeff

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Haarlem, Netherlands

Posted 24 January 2010 - 09:18 PM

On the NEQ6...

Setup Menu -> Handset settings -> PolarScope LED

Ah, THERE it is! Thanks! :bow:

Cloudy Nights LLC