• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TenthEnemy

TenthEnemy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:09 PM

There is a lot of activity along the limb today, several nice prominences. I did this sketch with graphite and white paper.

Attached Files

#2 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 05 January 2010 - 02:23 PM

I've the impression that if you work with graphite and white paper your sketch has more detail (compared to your other sun-sketch).

#3 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 05 January 2010 - 06:27 PM

Tenth

You've accomplished some very nice details of the prominences. :bow: :bow: :bow:

As Jef noted your details attained because of graphite; you should see the earlier works of many h-alpha observers, Erika Rix, and Les Cowley's images done in Conte crayon, myself with use of pastel chalks and many others use a variety of mediums. There are a wide variety of sketching mediums used to attain fine detail aside from a sharp graphite pencil.

I believe the graphite is fine for small format works but only on white paper, however, most will only use it in grey to black color then have to digitally manipulate the image later which brings a thought of concern to mind I’ll address below. Several of us have moved up to large format black paper to render finer details with direct color applied. This also makes for a large permanent finished work of art suitable for framing and wall hanging; another unforeseen added bonus.

Pastels, pastel pencils, Conte chalks and crayons can render just as fine or better detail than graphite but it may require that the artist uses a little larger format paper, with some practice and careful handling of the medium as pastel chalks can easily smear as compared to graphite. Then there is no need to digitally manipulate or change the original sketch/art work which the computer can always accidentally add an anomaly of artificial artifact originally unintended.

Just a few thoughts on this in my humble opinion, :cool:

Mark

#4 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:26 PM

TE,

A striking observation of the Sun in H-alpha. You have captured the promiennces very nicely. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:27 AM

TenthEnemy,

Yet another very impressive H-alpha solar sketch. :cool: :bow: :rainbow:

Frank :)

#6 mikesemmler

mikesemmler

Messenger