• Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:46 AM

Bushnell Northstar 90mm Maksutov-Cassegrain

#2 okaragozian

okaragozian

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:06 AM

I guess the inference made by Mike is that the review article about the Northstar 90mm Maksutov-Cassegrain was ill conceived and somewhat unworthy. I disagree. If I'm wrong, I stand corrected.

This particular item, the Bushnell Northstar, is a re-brand of a Chinese tube assembly which is also used by Orion, and possibly Celestron, Mead and Ioptron coupled to a variety of GO-TO astronomical mounts and tripods.

The Bushnell Northstar may not be an Observatory grade telescope, but that budding amateur astronomers do need a starting point. The Maksutov design offers good visual quality in a compact package and at a reasonable price. Not everyone has the money and space available to purchase a large aperture, $1,000+, telescope.

I think that the idea of “If you can’t afford a BMW, you shouldn’t be driving” is rather snobbish. Some people can only afford an inexpensive car, sometimes not even a new car from the dealership.

If a person can afford a few hundred dollars, as opposed to the $99 special at the local Walmart of a 60mm refractor, then so be it. Lest we not all forget our history where Galileo observed the moons of Jupiter and other celestial objects using a more rudimentary device than what we all have today.

#3 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:15 PM

I guess the inference made by Mike is that the review article about the Northstar 90mm Maksutov-Cassegrain was ill conceived and somewhat unworthy. I disagree. If I'm wrong, I stand corrected.

This particular item, the Bushnell Northstar, is a re-brand of a Chinese tube assembly which is also used by Orion, and possibly Celestron, Mead and Ioptron coupled to a variety of GO-TO astronomical mounts and tripods.

The Bushnell Northstar may not be an Observatory grade telescope, but that budding amateur astronomers do need a starting point. The Maksutov design offers good visual quality in a compact package and at a reasonable price. Not everyone has the money and space available to purchase a large aperture, $1,000+, telescope.

I think that the idea of “If you can’t afford a BMW, you shouldn’t be driving” is rather snobbish. Some people can only afford an inexpensive car, sometimes not even a new car from the dealership.

If a person can afford a few hundred dollars, as opposed to the $99 special at the local Walmart of a 60mm refractor, then so be it. Lest we not all forget our history where Galileo observed the moons of Jupiter and other celestial objects using a more rudimentary device than what we all have today.

I'm afraid that I don't really see any "inference" being made here. Mike Loffland says nothing about the article (or anything else) at all. All I see is his posting of the article and his quoted "saying" in his signature, which appears in every posting that he makes. That saying isn't a comment on anything in particular, any more than my signature's saying "If you aren't having fun in this hobby, you aren't doing it right", is. Clear skies to you.

#4 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:29 PM

Thanks for the review Kenny!

I'm putting the Celestron branded version through its paces right now.

Regards,

Jim

#5 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:32 PM

Mike (and the other moderators who put our reviews up on this forum) do not comment on the articles. They just hot link them.

You're looking at Mike's signature I suspect. That appears at the end of every post he makes, and given that it is a signature, it's a comment on Mike and his outlook, and not a statement about anyone or anything else.

I bet you feel a little silly and defensive now, don't you? :winky: Not a big deal. Hang in there.

Regards,

Jim

#6 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:55 PM

And David, how *dare* you criticize the fact that I choose to enjoy the hobby by NOT enjoying it!

:grin:

- Jim

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics