Anyone Move to a Mach 1 from a Tak EM200

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Tim C

Tim C

Apollo

• Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:33 PM

I'm a happy owner of a Tak EM200 Temma 2 but I got on the Mach 1 list last year because well you never know... My name just came up so must make a decision. I'm pretty sure that I will just stick with the Tak but was curious to hear from others who may have moved from the Tak to the Mach 1. I image so I'm mainly curious if it made a difference in your pictures at the end of the day. I'm very familiar with the different features of both mounts but the Mach 1 is supposed to have a little lower PE and I wonder if it is smoother too? I'm located in Georgia where the seeing is usually just average or worse. I shoot at 730mm focal length most of the time with a DSLR but would like to move to a longer focal length at some point. Again, hoping to hear from folks who have made this change but any comments would be appreciated. We're just shootin' the breeze here...

#2 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• Loc: Cloud-chester,NY

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:39 PM

I have used a Tak200. I've never owned either but from what I see they are very similar in performance. The biggest advantage I can see to the AP is the hand box. No need for an external PC/PDA for goto function. If you're happy with the Tak, I can't see any real advantage to switch.

#3 Jaxdialation

Jaxdialation

Gemini

• Loc: Northeast, FL

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:51 PM

I think you will find very few people who went directly from a 200 to a M1 for the simple reason that it is NOT a clear upgrade.

I went from a EM 400 to an AP 1200. If the 400 had the capacity of the 1200, I would not have bothered.

#4 Konihlav

Konihlav

Apollo

• -----

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:53 PM

any comments would be appreciated.

I think you'd better get some nice CCD camera than make such a mount move (you'll be the first one who would make it). Anyway if you want to make an equipment upgrade the CCD is better choice IMHO.

#5 Tim C

Tim C

Apollo

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:06 PM

Thanks for the comments - you are helping me to eliminate the small itch I had to try the Mach 1. If they were both available back when I bought the Tak, I would have likely picked the Mach 1 but I have gotten really comfortable with the Tak so I agree that there doesn't appear to be a compelling reason to switch within the same weight class.

#6 EricCCD

EricCCD

Vanguard

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:23 PM

I don't have any first-hand experience, but I do know of someone who switched from an EM200 to a Mach1. He is a mobile imager, and his imaging sites tend to be windy. He was imaging with a Takahashi Epsilon 180ED. I asked him about his decision to swap, and he said that the Mach1 was steadier in the wind with the Epsilon 180.

But he did say that the Mach1 is a bit more involved to set up with cables and all.

I have an EM200 and an AP1200GTO. I love the quiet elegance of the EM200 and the raw power and finesse of the AP1200. And the 1200's handbox.

HTH,
Eric

#7 Dan G

Dan G

Vanguard

• Loc: Minisink, NY, USA

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:27 PM

I had an EM-200 and did not consider the Mach 1 as an upgrade. Both are similar in capacity and quality. I like my new AP900 but am not sold on the hand controller. I primarily image and find it redundant and just another piece of needed gear. Stick with the EM-200 if you do not need added capacity.

Dan in NY

#8 pop

pop

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:26 AM

I have EM200 for 2 year and moved to Mach1 since 2 years ago. My setup is mainly for imaging scope. I have use TEC 140 and William Optics 80/600. At EM200, I don't have any problem with WO 80/600 but I have a lot of problem with TEC140 sine TEC is longer OTA.

PE and random noise of the gear, motor are not my problem with both EM200 and Mach1. My serious problem with Tak are it is too sensitive for balancing scope. Is is very very sensitive. If the scope is not balance well, the omage taken from the setup will have a problem with some star staggering or distort. But if all is balanced, it is very nice to use.

EM 200, in my opinion is not capable very well for TEC140. Because My total weight exclude counter weights is around 15-18 kg. (TEC-140OTA+FF+custom adapter+dovetailx2+guidescope+side byside saddle plate= 15-18 kg.) IT is out of range of EM200. But all thing go very well with Mach1 since Mach 1 is not too sensitive for balance the scope and not too sensitive balance in Dec axis.

I love Tak EM200 polar scope, it is very nic and I have never had to do polar alignment like star drift except using Polar alignment scope. But in Mach 1, I have to do star alignment using Declination Drift method every time while I'm imaging. It is take time around 20 min.

EM200 is more quick setup for remote imaging but Mach 1 has more component to setup than EM200. In this regard, I prefered EM200. But guiding capability, I prefered Mach1.

I have to say that EM200 is another league of Mach1. The Mach1 is more capable many way such as weight capacity, guiding, balancing issue, software-hand control.

It is very different mount. Mach 1 is very improve noticeable when compare with EM200. I'm very happy with Mach1 than EM200 in term of DSO imaging. But for just visual, I prefered EM200 mount in term of easy to setup.

Just my opinion.

#9 pop

pop

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:27 AM

Here is my EM200 setup using TEC140 and guide scope, AT66ED

Attached Files

#10 Tim C

Tim C

Apollo

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:28 AM

Pop,

Thanks very much for your comments. The things you describe are pretty much what I suspected so good to confirm. I would dearly miss the Tak polar scope. I used to confirm PA with a drift align but after a few times I realized there is no need - I never got any drift even at 300x after using the tak polar scope. My camera is usually clicking away while others are still polar aligning (either manually or with software like pempro) so that is really nice when I have to travel to a dark site and don't get to go as much as I want to. You are at 33 to 40lbs and I'm at about 25lb and expect to stay there so I'm pretty sure I'll stick with the Tak. Maybe down the road someday if I ever live somewhere where I can have an observatory I will get something like the AP900 or 1200.

#11 Poochpa

Poochpa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Buffalo Burbs, NY

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:00 PM

Tim and others,
Hope you don't mind a related question to this thread. I also just received my AP notification for the AP Mach1. I've been debating between it and the Tak EM-200 for a while. This thread has convinced me to go with the EM-200, primarily because I have to travel to image and appreciate the quick set up time of the EM-200. The Vixen GPDX I've been using for AP has a similar PA scope as the Tak and I don't have to drift align or use software to align with it either. Since I use a laptop when I image, the lack of a goto hand controller with the Tak is not a problem.

So can anyone who has purchased an EM-200 new recommend an authorized Tak dealer to buy from? I'm in the Buffalo, NY area (western NY) and would prefer not to have the mount shipped a long distance, after a bad experience I had with a Losmandy mount that was damaged during shipment several years ago. Thanks.
Mike

#12 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• Loc: Cloud-chester,NY

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:10 PM

TNR.

#13 Tim C

Tim C

Apollo

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:24 PM

Tim and others,
Hope you don't mind a related question to this thread. I also just received my AP notification for the AP Mach1. I've been debating between it and the Tak EM-200 for a while. This thread has convinced me to go with the EM-200, primarily because I have to travel to image and appreciate the quick set up time of the EM-200. The Vixen GPDX I've been using for AP has a similar PA scope as the Tak and I don't have to drift align or use software to align with it either. Since I use a laptop when I image, the lack of a goto hand controller with the Tak is not a problem.

So can anyone who has purchased an EM-200 new recommend an authorized Tak dealer to buy from? I'm in the Buffalo, NY area (western NY) and would prefer not to have the mount shipped a long distance, after a bad experience I had with a Losmandy mount that was damaged during shipment several years ago. Thanks.
Mike

Hey Mike,

Glad this thread was useful to you. I bought mine from one of the West Coast dealers but Astronomics is very reputable and in the Central U.S. The CN discount should help as well but can pay to shop around for a mount this pricey. The manual has some poorly translated instructions by the way for the polar alignment scope but it's easy to get help on the Takahashi yahoo group and it's super easy once you know what to do. The high quality of the mount and the simplicity is wonderful - you won't regret it. I was worried about the lack of a goto hand controller as well but now I realize that it is a total non factor for imaging and I also prefer it for visual too now. I use a little eee netbook to run it and it's great - they are only about $275.

#14 Balok

Balok

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:07 AM

Just a note there are 2 versions of the EM 200 with differing elevation ranges:

the 1)ML (0 - 50 degrees) and the 2)HL ( 23 - 56 degrees ).

#15 wormstar

wormstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Central Ct

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:51 PM

Tim- could you elaborate on the netbook- what software?
I assume Temma II goto?
thanks

#16 Scott Rose

Scott Rose

Viking 1

• Loc: beachwood ohio

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:16 PM

wormstar, I just purchased the em200 from woodland hills. very reputable. Daniel there really knows his tak equipment. I decided not to get their portable IPAQ hand controller, but to get my own the 211 series and load the sky with tpoint. The 211 has a larger screen and bluetooth.

#17 Tim C

Tim C

Apollo

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:04 PM

Tim- could you elaborate on the netbook- what software?
I assume Temma II goto?
thanks

Wormstar,

Voyager is my favorite - to me it's the easiest to use and the really great thing about it is that it is a very "light" program... doesn't require a super fast processor. The built in "native" temma driver is really stable - have yet to have a crash. I like Starry Night Pro at home but runs too slow for telescope control on a laptop for me. Tried SkyX Serious Astronomer edition last year but the temma driver on it didn't work at the time and got a refund (known defect... hopefully they have fixed that by now). I use PHD guiding, Voyager, and Canon software for my dslr at the same time and all runs great on the netbook.

#18 Tim C

Tim C

Apollo

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:06 PM

wormstar, I just purchased the em200 from woodland hills. very reputable. Daniel there really knows his tak equipment. I decided not to get their portable IPAQ hand controller, but to get my own the 211 series and load the sky with tpoint. The 211 has a larger screen and bluetooth.

Scott - so you decided on the Tak... I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

#19 Scott Rose

Scott Rose

Viking 1

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:30 PM

I really labored over this one, between the mach1 and the tak. I have been dealing with woodland hills and daniel mounsey for years. He has never steered me wrong and has been a great source of information in my purchases. So I went with his product because I know he will help support me with any questions or problems. That means a lot to me personally. Plus, I have gotten a lot of private messages from EM200 owners and they really like this mount.

#20 Doubleglaze

Doubleglaze

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific NW

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:09 PM

Hey congratulations Scott!

I also labored over the same decisions (Mach1 vs EM-200 vs EM-400 vs AP900 vs a bunch of others) and went the Mach1 route. In the end the slightly higher capacity of the Mach1 (and the nifty Eagle portable pier) won out over the EM-200, at a lower cost vs the AP900 or EM-400 route.

The SXD will be used for visual work - no more struggling with 20 arc-sec jumps ).

I'm sure the EM-200 will serve you very well, its a great mount.

Mark

#21 Scott Rose

Scott Rose

Viking 1

Posted 30 January 2010 - 10:07 PM

I like the starbook on the sxd that I have. I have gotten used to it. I am going to try to link an IPAQ to the temma with the sky. I am going to hijack my own thread. Hope it not against the :rules: Mark, how do you like your vmc. I was thinking of selling my vc200l for the vmc260l.

#22 Doubleglaze

Doubleglaze

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific NW

Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:39 AM

Hi Scott -

I like the VMC260 fine - it offers nice views with good contrast and far more detail than the previous scope I had (4 inch B&L SCT). Right now its in storage as I have my imaging setup on the SXD but once the Mach1 arrives I'm going to switch back again and have both rigs running at the same time. I added a feathertouch focuser which I like much better than the stock moving mirror.

When I was using the VMC I had many pleasant evenings with it. Then I caught the imaging bug and my visual work has been with binoculars only. I haven't done any imaging with the VMC - no way the Vixen mount would be stable at 3000mm focal length. I'm sure I'd need to switch to off axis guiding with the AP mount, I may try a few shots this year and see what happens.

Mark

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics