• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 paul aldag

paul aldag

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: madeira, portugal

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:23 PM

I have just purchased a new C8-SGT with CG-5 GEM to replace my ageing Meade DS70 telescope. The Dec motor does not respond at any point (the RA one does) and I have tried it with the clutch on and off without luck. The Dec balance seems perfect. If I use a GOTO command to any object from "home" the scope always moves in RA to the East for about 20 degrees, then moves slightly back and then, presumably, waits for the non-existant Dec movement to complete - which it never does.

As I live on the island of Madeira and have only just received the scope I do not want to have to resort to sending it back, is there anything I can do to check or test the Dec motor to see if it is actually working (the cable is connected) ?

When I tried to perform the first 2 star align the stars selected were all in the southern hemisphere (Lat/Long were correct) so I have restored the factory defaults but this has not affected the Dec motor problem.

Any ideas ?

#2 JayKSC

JayKSC

Vanguard

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:13 PM

In the past month I've read about several CG5 mounts having trouble with their declination motor drives. Unfortunately, mine completely died on me a few years ago. Since I rarely used the scope's go-to features, I never bothered to have it repaired. Hopefully someone has an idea for testing and repairing your declination drive. Sorry to read of your mount troubles.

- Jay
South Florida

#3 PHampson

PHampson

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:38 PM

The most likely culprit is the plug-in cable going from the side panel to the DEC motor. Not an uncommon problem. Clean all of the contacts for the cable and make sure it is seating properly on both ends. If that's not it, you may have a problem with the internal motor control boards and the mount will need to go back.

Good Luck.

Paul

#4 paul aldag

paul aldag

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: madeira, portugal

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:04 AM

Many thanks for the quick replies. I will check the cable and see if that is the problem.

#5 bebert

bebert

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Louisiana

Posted 16 January 2010 - 08:38 PM

If you can locate a fault is it possible to order the part w/out having to send the entire mount back to the factory?

#6 Patrick

Patrick

Voyager 1

• Loc: Franklin, Ohio

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:03 PM

Are you getting any error messages on your hand controller?

Patrick

#7 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:03 PM

If you can locate a fault is it possible to order the part w/out having to send the entire mount back to the factory?

Yes. If the problem is the encoder board (part of the motor assembly) it'll cost $28 plus $10 shipping for a complete new motor assembly. I know only because I replaced one on my mount a few weeks ago. It's easy to swap the RA and DEC motors to see if that's the trouble.

#8 bebert

bebert

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Louisiana

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:28 AM

Nice to know that!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics