Photo

Saturn Observation November 22, 2009

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 ericj

ericj

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:03 PM

Hi All,

It has been a couple of years since the last time I posted here so thought I would mention a recent observation and sketch I made of Saturn.

The seeing was variable from 4 - 5 (mostly fair, sometimes settling down to good) so not a lot of fine detail was visible. Still it was interesting to observe again.

Here are some of the features noted. The South Polar Region appeared tan in color, while the Equatorial Zone appeared light yellow in color. The North Polar Region appeared green in color.

The shadow of the globe was visible on the following side of the rings. The rings cast a shadow on the front of the globe.

Four satellites were visible near Saturn including Rhea, Dione, Tethys, and Titan.

Here is a link to the sketch:

Saturn sketch November 22, 2009

Also here is a link to my Saturn Nomenclature page which has information on identifying features on Saturn. It discusses also the belts and zones, rings, and moons.

Clear Skies,

Eric Jamison

#2 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:05 PM

Eric
It was a good idea to post a nice Saturn sketch between all those Mars sketches these days :waytogo:

#3 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:18 AM

Eric,

Welcome back to the Cloudy Nights Sketching Forum. We have missed your excellent observations on the forum. Your Saturn observation is excellent. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

#4 ericj

ericj

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:26 PM

Jef,

Thanks for the kind words. Before making the sketch of Saturn I observed Mars, but while I was able to make out some surface features on Mars the seeing was not good enough to identify them :tonofbricks:.

Clear Skies,

Eric

#5 ericj

ericj

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:27 PM

Carlos,

Thank you for the kind words. I have missed seeing the fine sketches and observations on this forum as well. For a variety of reasons I have not have much time for observing or sketching, and my web page was down due to problems with my old ISP. I have only recently been able to reconstitute it.

Clear Skies,

Eric

#6 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:47 PM

Eric,

We are all glad to see you and your excellent observations on the forum once again. Your web site is very informative for planetary observers. I look forward to your future observations.

Carlos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics