Mounting C8 on a Skywatcher EQ5 Pro with Synscan

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 twindley

twindley

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:17 AM

What do I need to know. I am entering the high tech world from the dark ages and was never really an avid fella before. I was told I could mount a dovetail directly to my OTA. Is this true or do I need to use rings. I am about to buy the rigging I need and the mount. Is the eyepiece/filter kit from celestron a good set to buy at $139. One more Q. Is OPT the best and/or cheapest place to get this stuff. thx

#2 Eddgie

Eddgie

Voyager 1

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:29 PM

It depends. MOST of the C8s ever made can indeed easily be mounted on an EQ5 or any similar mount with a Vixen like saddle.

To do this, you only need to purchase the dovetail.

The correct dovetail is the Losmanday V series VSCT13. It is VERY hard to find the actual Celetron C8 dovetails on the used market, so buying the Losmandy is about the only guarenteed way to go.

This dovetail will mount on MOST C8s and Meade 203SCs (the meade 8" SCT).

It won't mount on ALL of them though. In order to mount with the standard dovetail, there has to be a pair of screw holes at the 6" oclock position of the mirror housing about 1" or so apart. If the scope does not have this pair of holes, the situation may be a bit difference.

Some of the later scopes do not have the right hole spacing in the rear cell to mount the standerd skinny dovetail. These scope may have a pair of holes 1.75" apart at the bottom of the rear housing. For these, you can still use the VSCT13 dovetail, but in addition, you also need the correct bracket. This is Losmandy VCB8. This bracket set has a brackt with 1.75" holes that is used in the rear. You screw the VCB8 brackets to the scope, then screw the dovetail to the VCB8 brackets.

Now if you don't have ANY holes back there, then you will need rings, but the VAST VAST majority of C8s have one or the other (or perhaps both) sets of holes.

Good luck.

#3 twindley

twindley

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:37 PM

OK My OTA has the 2 six oclock holes at the lower end (1.75" on center) but only a single on top end which aligns with the midpoint of the lower holes. So for the top am I to use only one hole to mount hold the bracket, dovetail and OTA together?? There is a product that I found online (ADM Celestron 8" Mini Dovetail Bar) which would appear to work provide it will fit in the EQ5 mount. It is 1.5 inches wide.

#4 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:56 PM

ADM is outstanding. Drop Anthony a line and he will help sort you out...he provides awesome customer service. And don't worry about the EQ5, it will handle the load. I've used an 18 lb Celestron C8N Newt on mine. Best Regards, BrianB

#5 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:01 PM

I am not sure this will work for you since you said there is only one hole at front:

http://www.admaccess..._Dovetails.htm?

Contact Anthony and he will be more than happy to customize for you for little or no extra cost.

Peter

#6 twindley

twindley

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:55 PM

ok thx people. sounds like the adm will work. so i can mod it myself. eyes to the sky - tim

#7 WarrenS

WarrenS

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Orange County New York

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:25 PM

As Peter said you want the V series dovetail, not the Mini-DoveTail which would mount on top of your C8 to hold accessories such as guidescope rings etc. Anthony's stuff is topnotch. Another excellent source is Scopestuff.com.

#8 twindley

twindley

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:25 PM

thx all i have been able to solve my issues

eyes to the sky

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics