Photo

CGEM Edge C8 sutitable for AP at 2000mm FL?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#26 Tiny

Tiny

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:08 AM

CGE was another option but it does not cross the meridian without flipping. This is the major drawback for me. Is this feature part of hardware or firmware. Does the latest firmware in CGE allow the mount to cross the meridian without flipping?

Peter

This is a negative but one you simply learn to cope with by planning for the flip earlier. No matter what GEM mount you choose, be it a losmandy or celestron, you'll be doing a flip. I believe both Gemini and Celestron hand controller display a clock to let you know when a flip will be required so this makes planning your exposures a non-issue. Simply do an exposure up until you meet the meridian, flip, re-aquire and you're good for the rest of the night. Simple.

I personally favor Losmandy mounts for other reasons and yes having the option to track a bit past the meridian is nice to have [especially if you have bad LP] but i wouldnt let it deter you from purchasing a cge, especially if you feel more comfortable with the software.

At this point and time my only concern with purchasing a CGE would be the worry of Celestron significantly updating it, which will happen eventually, with some of the nicer features found on the CGE pro. Though this most likely wont happen for years from now.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics