CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EQ3 Goto or Pushto?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 SamTheMan

SamTheMan

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:04 PM

I have a VN Orion 120 F8.3 refractor on an Orion EQ3 with Orion stepper motors. I think the label on the tube reads "Skywatcher 120 EQ". Is there a $200-max goto or pushto solution for my setup? Thanks
Sam
auburn, wa USA

#2 MorningStar1969

MorningStar1969

Viking 1

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:17 PM

Hi Sam and welcome to CN.
I am just guessing but i think it is going to be tight at your budget.
However, i would try Astromart or the ShopNSwap section here. Post a wanted ad for a pushto unit for your scope/mount. You might find something like an old Orion Sky Wizard or Meade Magellan pointing device. JMI also makes very basic units to fit most any scope/mount combination. Best of luck.

#3 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Cosmos

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:10 PM

I have a VN Orion 120 F8.3 refractor on an Orion EQ3 with Orion stepper motors. I think the label on the tube reads "Skywatcher 120 EQ". Is there a $200-max goto or pushto solution for my setup? Thanks
Sam
auburn, wa USA

Maybe could specify what it is you want a solution for? Stability? The EQ3 is pretty "light" for a five inch.

Your five inch would "feel very fine" on a Losmandy g8, g11, a diskmount, all in the range of $1 to $2k.

You could probably pick up a push-to equatorial mount with tracking on Astromart for $300 to $900 depending on what it is. A Vixen GP or GP DX would be a major step up from an EQ3, IMHO.

Greg N

#4 MorningStar1969

MorningStar1969

Viking 1

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:21 PM

Well, he did specify that his budget is at $200 maxed, so maybe you shouldn't be offering $900.00 and up suggestions. :lol:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics