Photo

Portable piers - ATS or PWT Pinnacle

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 Gavin Bray

Gavin Bray

Messenger

• -----

Posted 14 January 2010 - 03:59 AM

Hi

I'm after a portable pier (10"x36") for my AP1200 and I'm currently considering either the ATS or PWT Pinnacle. With accessories the ATS is around $2400 and the Pinnacle is about $3600.

I'm sure that both piers are of high quality but I'm interested to hear from anyone who has purchased either and your reasons for buying one over the other.

Thanks
Gavin

#2 Gavin Bray

Gavin Bray

Messenger

• -----

Posted 14 January 2010 - 04:51 PM

Any takers? :question:

#3 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:02 PM

I haven't owned a pinnacle but I do own an ATS. The ATS is fine, even great. If I had the funds I'd go with a Pinnacle. I believe it is more rationally designed from the point of view of setup--I don't like screwing in the handles. I also think the PWT has a bigger "moon lander" footprint that makes it more stable.

regards
Greg N

#4 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 15 January 2010 - 05:06 AM

Hello,
Similar to Greg's response, though I do not own either, when I was looking for a portable pier, the ATS and PWT Pinnacle were the two most recommended to me.

There was a difference though. most ATS owners that I engaged for advice actually mentioned that they (pretty much) "settled" for the ATS - for the simple fact that at the time, they could not afford the PWT Pinnacle.

Reasons ranged from easier (less fiddly) set up, customization options and a definite sense of "feels stabler" if you know what I mean..,

I know for me, I would have had the PWT Pinnacle if only PWT had bothered to respond to my (3 - two email + one voicemail left) purchase enquiries. Maybe it is because I'm in the UK or something, who knows :question:

Anyways., from what I heard from others, if you can afford it, I'd go with the PWT Pinnacle.

Regards,

skybsd

#5 Gavin Bray

Gavin Bray

Messenger

• -----

Posted 15 January 2010 - 05:47 PM

Thanks Greg and skybsd.

Both Steve from ATS and Shahin from PWT have been very responsive (and I live in Australia). Skybsd, I'm not sure why you didn't get a response from Shahin.

Regards
Gavin

#6 mikefulb

mikefulb

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 15 January 2010 - 07:56 PM

I have the ATS and for me I "settled" in the sense that nothing cheaper was as light or as convenient to setup. I sure wish there had been a cheaper alternative! I couldn't imagine spending more money on a pier. My imaging buddy used to use an Astro-Physics 'portable pier' (took forever to put together) who saw me get the ATS out and have it ready to go in under 90 seconds (including leveling) and he has an ATS pier now. ;)

Michael Fulbright

#7 skybsd

skybsd

Skylab

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:26 PM

Hi Gavin,
Good to hear from you.

Glad to know that you were able to hear from PWT. I really can't say what happened with my enquiries - like I said, I really did try to communicate with them last year about buying a Pinnacle or Monolith pier.

Coming to think of it, I also emailed them afterwards about their DDCAP desiccant caps too, with no response then either :shocked:

Maybe I'll try giving them another call and see if anyone's alive :D

Regards,

skybsd

#8 Gavin Bray

Gavin Bray

Messenger

• -----

Posted 16 January 2010 - 07:48 AM

Hi Michael. Thanks for your comments. Which mount do you attach to your pier and do you ever find any problems adjusting the azimuth when polar aligning ie. do you ever have to move the pier and load a little when aligning??

Regards
Gavin

#9 keeyc

keeyc

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:34 AM

Hi Gavin,

I'll be receiving a custom 7 x 42'' pinnacle pretty soon for my TEC140 / DM6. Although I haven't tried the ATS, I'll let you know how I feel about the pinnacle once I try it out. It looks like owners of both piers are very satisfied.

Kee-Yang

#10 keeyc

keeyc

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:42 AM

Hi,

I started communicating with Shahin for my pinnacle in early October, 2009 but I still haven't received it yet. What happened is that 4 of his close relatives passed away in about a month's time in late 2009 so he was out of his office a lot. Usually, he is a very friendly and informative person who responds in detail to every mail that I send to him. He even talked at length with Tom at DiskMount to make sure that my DM6 would have no trouble mounting to the pier. By the way, I'm in Seoul, Korea so you should definitely contact him again.

Clear skies,
Kee-Yang

#11 Gavin Bray

Gavin Bray

Messenger

• -----

Posted 17 January 2010 - 02:13 AM

Hi Kee-Yang

Yes, please let me know what you think when your pinnacle arrives.

Regards
Gavin

#12 Jaxdialation

Jaxdialation

Gemini

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:21 AM

In my opinion the price differential (50%) is not warranted.
The aesthetic differences in the mounts mean nothing to me once the sun sets, and it is not clear to me that the design of one over the other is substantially better for the purpose at hand.

#13 Gavin Bray

Gavin Bray

Messenger

• -----

Posted 17 January 2010 - 04:13 PM

Thanks John. They both look good to me so that's not an issue and, even if they didn't, it's not a big deal. If they both work effectively and similarly then the price difference makes the decision easy.

#14 Mark Sullivan

Mark Sullivan

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 17 January 2010 - 09:59 PM

Gavin,

I have a PWS Monolith, and this thing is built like a tank. Very stable and surprisingly light; very easy to set up. I suspect that the Pinnacle is similar. Your best bet, though, would be to find folks locally with one of each and compare directly.

Er, if I were to suggest that they are "all the same in the dark" I would get into some serious trouble elsewhere. Not touching that one.

-Mark

#15 D. Perry

D. Perry

Vostok 1

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:46 PM

Hi Gavin,

I'm with "Jaxdialation". My ATS is solid as a rock, easily transportable, sets up in 2 minutes, breaks down in 2 minutes (I actually timed myself), and was much less than a PWT pier... even with the UV clear coat, 1/4" thick wall, and accessory shelf. I don't feel I settled at all. I went with the most capable pier for my needs and spent $1200 less than I could have.

Best.

#16 Gavin Bray

Gavin Bray

Messenger

• -----

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:55 AM

Thanks everybody. Although I'm sure the PWT mounts are excellent I believe the ATS will more than match my needs so that's the way I'm going to go.

Regards
Gavin

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics