Crater Herschel and M78

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

• Loc: Crozet VA 22932

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:35 PM

We have posted two additional sketches and stories to our site (below the signature) that may of interest. Crater Herschel was grabbed on a cold but pretty night. "Terminator effects" made for a fun time. The original was 11.5 x 8 on a grey/brown paper, which was nice to work with. The M78 sketch was also a very nice evening. I really enjoy this object with astro-video because of the gentle colors and ghostly appearance of the whites.

Both were done with the help of astro video tools where the image is sent to a high resolution screen for study and sketch.

#2 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 15 January 2010 - 01:58 PM

Roland,

Outstanding observations of the crater Herschel and M78 (Flame Nebula). You have recorded the floor and surrounding region of Herschel very nicely. The Flame Nebula (M78) is "On Fire." Thank you for sharing them with us all. My best to you and Linda.

Carlos

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:34 PM

Roland,

The crater J.Herschel sketch is a beauty. This is a great walled-plain crater at sunrise or sunset.
I really enjoyed seeing the colors you were able to include in the M78 sketch. Much more of the reflection nebula shows up with the camera assistance than can be detected by eye. The dark lane you included really shows up as a sharp arc at the eyepiece without the camera. The faint nebulosity beyond I have not seen visually but it is nice to see it here.
These are two grand drawings. Thanks for linking us to them.

Frank :)

#4 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:16 PM

Roland,

I love your Herschel sketch so much. It's a beauty. However, I think M78 with its stars and the tint of color in it is my favorite. I think there is that hint of beauty in everyone if we can just see it, or perhaps more importantly, if they can see it. Thanks for sharing as always.

#5 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 16 January 2010 - 07:37 AM

Roland

Beautiful new sketches! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Your dimension, realism and lighting in the Herschel crater is stunning! I also like your classic script writing text around the image.

I enjoyed seeing your new image of the M78 Nebula. I was near it the other night trying to observe M42 for a new sketch, but the clouds rolled in.

I enjoyed your last report about teaching the children in Haiti and Uganda. You and Linda are saints! I am sure, even through the struggle for them to attain what they see and sketch as difficult for them, they will remember the rest of their lives the noble lessons as great gifts that you two have given to them. It will have a positive lasting impression on their future lives.

Mark

#6 JayKSC

JayKSC

Vanguard

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 16 January 2010 - 12:15 PM

Roland,

Your M78 sketch is stunning! I can see where video tools would help studying this fine nebula. Many thanks for sharing this and for your sketches and stories. These will make great viewing and reading for my cloudy night weekend.

:) Jay
South Florida

#7 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:40 PM

Thank you for the comments. We really enjoyed the observing/sketching periods. Some have suggested doing sketches alone (no writing or conditions, etc) but we keep returning to this mode and are very comfortable with it. And, it permits a little creative approach to meld and balance what is written, so we keep doing it. I guess its the kid in me, but I enjoy making lines; the adult in me wants to provide the balance and context. Glad you enjoyed them...it's a joy to do.

#8 rolandlinda3

rolandlinda3

Gemini

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:50 PM

Thanks, Mark. We are only forgiven and thankful...it's been a privilege to serve.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics