• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 scoping

scoping

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Jacksonville,Fl

Posted 15 January 2010 - 07:41 PM

I have a self installed ServoCat with Argo Navis. I can go to Mars which was low in the east last night. I could go to M97 which was low in the NNE.

The problem is the scope refuses to go to the south to view M79 but will go to M41. It also wont go to the west to view M15. I have the coordinates for Jacksonville Fl. and the time set. Any ideas? It has been working fine before.

Mark Kaupas
20"F5

#2 John J

John J

Viking 1

• Loc: South East SD.

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:00 PM

Are you using a planetarium software to control the Argo? I was using The Sky 6 serious astronomer and found that it would not go to some objects some times. Went to the Argo and took it out of planetarium and used the Argo to dial it in and it went no problem. Go figure..some times the planetarium soft ware doesn't work.
JJ

#3 Smo

Smo

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: North Vancouver, BC, Canada

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:33 PM

The only other thing I can think of is your limits. By default it is set to not go pas about 75 or 80 degrees so when I asked it to go near zenith it just gives a little beep.

I went into the argo settings and set the limit to like 87 or 88 degrees, so just enough to not have it slew fast and bang on the back as it hits zenith.

Fixed my problem, but I dont know if you were trying to go near zenith.

#4 scoping

scoping

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:46 PM

I am not using planetarium. The problem is it will point easily down 20 degrees to the east and north but wont go down as far as 45 degrees to the south or west. It just beeps telling me no way.

Mark Kaupas

#5 John J

John J

Viking 1

Posted 16 January 2010 - 03:16 AM

Has your clock coin battery gone dead? That could be causing you to get a strange warp so that the Argo considers 45 degrees the horizon. Also did you forget to put the scope to the vertical prior to alignment? Easy to forget if its been awhile since you have done an alignment. Some times its the simple things to check first.

JJ

#6 scoping

scoping

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 January 2010 - 10:05 AM

Hi John,
I just checked the clock battery its good at 2.9 out of 3 volts. When I power up the Argo I enter +090.000 Auto Adjust On then press the goto button before performing a 2 star alignment. Is this correct?

Mark Kaupas

#7 John J

John J

Viking 1

Posted 16 January 2010 - 10:20 AM

Mark
Yes that's correct but the scope must be pointing straight up at zenith. If it was at 45 degrees altitude when you hit enter, then the sky model will consider 45 degrees to be the 90 degree reference. It's easy to forget some times. I have gone through an entire alignment only to realize that I forgot. This led to a very large warp, but a successful alignment.

If that is not the case check the RJ connectors for good contact. Un-plug and plug them several times to clean the female prongs. The double plug at the top of the Argo should be checked also. Over time those stupid phone type plugs will corrode due to dew and humidity. Check the altitude encoder coupler for slippage. Seems this is strictly an altitude problem, it must be associated with the altitude components.

Check your setup also to make sure that you didn't inadvertently change your encoder tics. This could throw things off also.

JJ

#8 scoping

scoping

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 January 2010 - 05:15 PM

John
I will do as you said if this doesn't correct the problem I will start from scratch. When I find out what it is I will let you know.

Thanks,
Mark Kaupas

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics