Mars, January 16, 20:30 UT

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

• Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 16 January 2010 - 04:20 PM

This evening I saw Mars at a more favourable CM. The most impressive feature after the northern polar cap and the polar seam was the bright Chryse at the left border.
The surrounding m. erythraeum and m. acidalium had quite an other color in comparison to the rest of the planet. But their surface was not darker. At the remaining surface I saw some hints of details. The easiest was the darker southern polar region.
(6 inch Mak@144x)

Attached Files

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 16 January 2010 - 06:19 PM

Uwe,

Sketch looks great Uwe. The polar cap is obviously shrinking slowly. :bow: :cool:

Frank :)

#3 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 16 January 2010 - 10:35 PM

Uwe,

A wonderful capture of Mars. The polar cap and polar seam are nicely done, but there is a hint of other structure there, faint, but you captured and sketched it well. Very nice.

#4 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:42 PM

Uwe,

An excellent observation of Mars. According to the date of your observation and time I believe the Central meridian was approximately 100 degrees West. This would make the dark albedo feature over the south as Solis Lacus with Mare Acidalium preceding and north. I have labeled the features I believe that you recorded. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics