• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gavin Bray

Gavin Bray

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:17 PM

Has anyone had any experiece with these adapters?

http://www.malcoprec...ierPlate_a.html

I saw an early review about them on CN but not much else.

Regards
Gavin

#2 DeanS

DeanS

Gemini

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:43 PM

They do as advertised. But they do not rotate with a bearing so do not turn smoothly. A little rough in my opinion for the cost, and when compared to the AP. The idea is to get them close, lock it, then do the final adjustments the standard way. I use one with my AP1200 in the field andit is very nice to only have to guess at north.

Now the AP rotating pier cap is a work of art, I just wish it had more rotation. I use these on both my 1200 and 900 in the observatory and they make final adjustments very precise.

I have not decided what to do with the 900 yet so will use the AP one in the field for now. I just have to get it close to north than I usally do.

#3 Gavin Bray

Gavin Bray

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 17 January 2010 - 04:31 PM

Thanks Dean. It's disappointing to hear they're a little rough rotating but I guess that's to be expected if it's metal on metal. I have the AP RPA on my permanent pier so know how good they are. I'm looking at the Malco for a portable pier but it's a toss up between the RPA and Malco. Perhaps I should go with the RPA and just get better at determining true south.

Regards
Gavin

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics