AP Mach1 GTO vs. Tak EM200 Temma

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:47 PM

so it's got a better polar scope than the AP Pasill, it has some alignment marks but sounds like Tak's marking system is better?

I'll have to check one of those out. My A-P Pasill has a Losmandy reticle and it takes less than a minute to rotate the scope to match the sky, put Polaris in the proper spot, and enjoy.

With luck, I'll be able to see one at NEAF.

Cheers,

Ron

#27 Tim C

Tim C

Apollo

• Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:14 PM

I'm sure there are plenty of folks who can align very well with the AP polar scopes. I've never used the AP/Losmandy one but have used other ones that rely on the user lining up the constellations and there is an element of "ballparking" it involved which makes it a little less precise than the Tak system which allows you to dial in the hour and exact time. Also, the reticles being out of alignment or even the polar scope itself being out of alignment with the polar shaft can cause issues. The Tak scope is integrated into the mount and perfectly aligned with the axis of the mount out of the box (or, at least mine was and has remained that way after a year).

#28 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:18 PM

Dunno about the AP, but the Tak does not need the tripod to be leveled, this definitely saves some time when setting up.

#29 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:33 PM

Dunno about the AP, but the Tak does not need the tripod to be leveled, this definitely saves some time when setting up.

The AP doesn't need to be leveled, either.

I guess we are all just going to enjoy our systems as they are. To each his (or her) own. :lol:

Ron

#30 Tim C

Tim C

Apollo

• Loc: Marietta, GA

Posted 30 January 2010 - 06:43 PM

I guess we are all just going to enjoy our systems as they are. To each his (or her) own. :lol:

Ron

Yep, leveling isn't required for any GEM... polar aligned is polar aligned. Leveling helps when drift aligning though so you aren't moving the mount in azimuth when you're attempting to adjust altitude (and vice versa).

#31 Jaxdialation

Jaxdialation

Gemini

• Loc: Northeast, FL

Posted 30 January 2010 - 10:08 PM

That's true, for some reason Tak enthusiasts think the level thing is unusual.

I love my AP Mount. It is a engineering marvel. Hopefully some day I will have a permanent set-up. If so, the
AP will be my only mount.

Ron

#32 Mike Clemens

Mike Clemens

Frozen to Eyepiece

• Loc: Alaska, USA

Posted 30 January 2010 - 10:57 PM

I use the AP polar scope. (Losmandy) it makes me want to claw my eyes out. Ditched it completely for PemPro. My friend uses a Tak scope and he always smiles after a quick alignment.

#33 Scott99

Scott99

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: New England

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:38 PM

I use the AP polar scope. (Losmandy) it makes me want to claw my eyes out. Ditched it completely for PemPro. My friend uses a Tak scope and he always smiles after a quick alignment.

guess I'll stick with the peep-hole! You can also do 2-star alignments pretty quickly, 2 or 3 will get you well-aligned.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics