Photo

"Non-astronomy" equipment adapted for astronomy?

• Please log in to reply
557 replies to this topic

#426 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Lewiston, Maine

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:01 PM

2 back

Attached Files

#427 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:04 PM

2 back

And that shell on the door is for when someone asks him if his dob is a cannon....

#428 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

Let's put it this way I wouldn't be surprised if Homeland Security would check it out if the 12" dob and that were set up on the deck. :roflmao:
Be Well
Grey
They'll have to pry the 79mm shell from my cold, dead hand.

#429 Chris H.

Chris H.

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Manitoba, Canada

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:57 AM

I found an "Ironing Board Chair" while searching for books at a thrift shop. It works very well as an observing chair, and only cost £3 pounds British, or about $4.50 cents in US funds.
Never seen one in the States, but they are common here in the UK. This one was made in Italy, is height adjustable and very sturdy.

Now THAT is a really great idea. Looks like it'd be pretty comfortable to sit on, too.

Sadly I don't have anything cool to contribute. The extent of my homebrewing, so far, is using a Stanley FatMax tool box with a slide-out bottom drawer to put my EPs and Telrad, and the top "chest" part for things such as flashlight, iPad, books, etc.

The more things I can carry in one case means less trips in and out of the house.

Just want to say that this is a great thread, read all 21 pages in one sitting and will probably do so again because there are so many great ideas in here.

#430 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:21 AM

I found an "Ironing Board Chair" while searching for books at a thrift shop. It works very well as an observing chair, and only cost £3 pounds British, or about $4.50 cents in US funds.
Never seen one in the States, but they are common here in the UK. This one was made in Italy, is height adjustable and very sturdy.

Now THAT is a really great idea. Looks like it'd be pretty comfortable to sit on, too.

Its comfortable enough. A nice feature is that it folds flat for transport; its lightweight also.

#431 rlkstars

rlkstars

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:09 PM

The red caps from Coke two liter bottles fit right over mini-maglights very snug.

#432 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Soyuz

• Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

Recently I scored a very nice old binocular, a Bushnell Custom 10x50. Very nice optically and mechanically. But there were no eyecups. I checked around and rubber eyecups to fit these rather large eyepieces were priced too high IMHO. What could I use to make some with?

After scrounging around in my basement shop I found a box of rubber band type thingies. These were placed on the hinges of new doors to protect them during shipment. When we built the house 9 years ago the workmen merely tossed these in the trash pile. Of course I saved them. You never know, right?

They were just the right size, neither too tight or too loose. A quick snip of the scissors and a cleaning and voila! Rubber eyecups for free. :grin:

Attached Files

#433 kfiscus

kfiscus

Vanguard

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:33 PM

Here's an unusual item. It started out as a setting machine for my high school's volleyball team. They wore out the ball mechanism and the custodians thought of me and my predilection for astrotinkering when told to dispose of it. I removed the 152 pounds of steel plate counterweight and added 2x10 planking and half-bungees to hold down the GEM's tripod. An old snow shovel handle steers it like a dream.

Attached Files

#434 ssandusky

ssandusky

Sputnik

• ***--
  • Loc: Halls Lake

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:49 PM

I don't know if this still holds true, but the large round containers that Baskin & Robbins use are the perfect size and fit for using them as robust dew shields on C-8 and Meade 8" Schmidt -Cassegrains. You can even get them in unused condition so you don't have to eat all of the ice cream before using them. :-)

Sarah

#435 ssandusky

ssandusky

Sputnik

• ***--
  • Loc: Halls Lake

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:56 PM

There are music sheet holders one can buy that are designed to attach to a wide variety of tripod legs and are designed to hold books open and sheets of music in place. I have found they are also great for holding and displaying large star charts on my telescope tripod while I observe. The one I have is adjustable can handle material of varying thickness and could easily handle a tablet computer too.

These music holders can be found online cheap or in most music stores.

Sarah

#436 mmclure

mmclure

Viking 1

• Loc: Sacramento, CA USA

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:47 PM

Wal-Mart sells some camping mats under the "Ozark Trails" brand for under $8. They make great foam for custom eyepiece cases. There is almost no smell, so outgassing should be kept to a minimum, the foam is nice and firm for good support, and several layers are easily glued together with hot glue.

Here's a grab and go eyepiece case I just completed. The case is a MTM Case-Gard pistol case I bought for under $10. The bottom eggcrate was replaced with four layers of foam cut from one of the WM camping pads. The top three layers were glued together with a bead of hot glue along the edge and a bead down the center. The openings were cut with an X-Acto knife. It takes some effort to close the case, so the top eggcrate is in compression and should hold the eyepieces tightly in place.

Posted Image

In case anyone is interested, these are the eyepieces I use with my Astroscan. Top row from left to right: 25mm Orion Sirius Plossl, 28mm Edmund RKE, 20mm Astro-Tech Value Line Plossl, 6mm Agen EWA (Expanse clone). Bottom row from left to right: 15mm Astro-Tech Value Line Plossl, 10mm Orion Sirius Plossl.

#437 Matthew Ota

Matthew Ota

Hmmm

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:12 AM

We used an extra large shower cap on the 24 inch at MWO.

#438 Eclipse

Eclipse

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Solada España

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:45 PM

I do not observe in winter without the wife´s hairdryer, on a longish extension cable. Waft a bit of warm air over a dewed up objective and it clears as if by magic. Similarly it keeps the business end of my laser pointer warm and functioning. And I use it to warm my hands.

#439 James Cunningham

James Cunningham

Gemini

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:28 AM

good idea.

#440 ed_turco

ed_turco

Apollo

• Loc: Lincoln, RI

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:13 AM

Crutches make dandy tripod legs :)

Attached Files

#441 ed_turco

ed_turco

Apollo

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:14 AM

Or --

Attached Files

#442 ed_turco

ed_turco

Apollo

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:20 AM

Or these --

Attached Files

#443 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

Saw an interesting chair today when I walked by a Medical Mobility Shop. Its called a "bathlift", has a rechargable battery operated motor, and a hand controler.
It adjusts in a height range of 2 1/2" to 19", all at the push of a button. This could be the ultimate portable chair. Attached to the top of a wooden box or a crate made to suit, it could fill the bill for many applications. I am going to look into this further.

Here is a photo of a brochure with the website.

Attached Files

#444 LB16europe

LB16europe

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Spain

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

I use a very similar chair, Mike. Mine's "Vileda" brand. It's quite good for observing with a Dob and way cheaper than the Astronomy-specific ones.

#445 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

Thanks for the tip, I'll check out the Vileda brand.

Cheers !

#446 Doc Willie

Doc Willie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

Two spring clips + business card = solar finder for Telrad base.

Attached Files

#447 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

I like that. :)

#448 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:51 AM

I don't know if this still holds true, but the large round containers that Baskin & Robbins use are the perfect size and fit for using them as robust dew shields on C-8 and Meade 8" Schmidt -Cassegrains. You can even get them in unused condition so you don't have to eat all of the ice cream before using them. :-)

Sarah

And how did you find this out???
I'd rather eat the Ice Cream, Preferably,
Butter Krunch (Butter Brickle), or Cherry Nut... :jump:. :p

#449 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

Nice idea. But, what I found on line were in the $600. range :confused:
Be Well
Grey

#450 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

The silver aluminum insulation scraps for Heat,A/C duct work make great dew shields!! even the Silver Aluminum tape makes a nice looking seam.
A couple minutes inside in the warm will hold in slight heat to help for dewing, then either slide it onto the tube for storage or fold in half and store in your Accy case where it works as a dust shield!!! since they are made from metal fiol they are tough and last for years, are feather light, a light spray of primer then Ultra Flat black paint gets rid of reflections.
Then you can make your Child a Robot Halloween costume with the rest....
Have fun.
reflections.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics