SynScan V3.27 Any one using it?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 John J

John J

Viking 1

• Loc: South East SD.

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:22 PM

My SynScan is at V3.24 and I am planing to upgrade the firmware. I have downloaded the V3 of the Firmware down loader. Has the new V3 of the down loader improved the usb to serial communications? I have had to use an old pc with an actual serial port in the past to down load properly. Has there been any bugs seen with the new V3.27?

I don't want to end up in a situation of "Fix it till it's broke" kind of deal. Right now every thing is working fine for me so I am a bit wary of any new upgrades.

Thanks.

JJ

#2 Coromandel

Coromandel

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:16 AM

My SynScan is at V3.24 and I am planing to upgrade the firmware. I have downloaded the V3 of the Firmware down loader. Has the new V3 of the down loader improved the usb to serial communications? I have had to use an old pc with an actual serial port in the past to down load properly. Has there been any bugs seen with the new V3.27?

I don't want to end up in a situation of "Fix it till it's broke" kind of deal. Right now every thing is working fine for me so I am a bit wary of any new upgrades.

Thanks.

JJ

Hi JJ. A friend of mine maintains the EQ6 mounts his school uses and he told me today that he already upgraded the firmware on all of them to v3.27. Some minor bug fixes apparently but nothing spectacular. All are working without problems.

The schools mounts were originally early version 3 firmware, and he's never had any problems upgrading them multiple times via a serial-to-USB adapter since then.

#3 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:37 AM

Synscan firmware 3.25 and 3.27 contain some fixes so i recommend you to update. About the version 3 loader - i is much better then the old loader. With old loader i could not update the synscan firmware from my laptop using usb to serial converter even at low speed (9.6 kbit/s) and i used pc with normal com port and even there update was working only at low speed and took 15 minutes to finish. Now with loader version 3 i updated the firmware from my laptop using the same usb to serial converter as before and it took only 1 minute.

#4 alpal

alpal

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne Australia.

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:03 AM

Hi John,
I am waiting for a reply to see if the latest version
will fix the polar telescope LED problem.
The LED can't be adjusted in brightness
for the reticule from the handset.

#5 markan

markan

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:38 AM

Hi John,
I am waiting for a reply to see if the latest version
will fix the polar telescope LED problem.
The LED can't be adjusted in brightness
for the reticule from the handset.

I doubt you'll get a response from Sky-Watcher if you used the customer support feature on their website. I didn't get any response to my queries last summer even though the issue was a real one. My problem at the time was the directional keys becoming useless after using the SAO catalog. They fixed the problem with the latest patch, but I never got any response from SkyWatcher support.

#6 groz

groz

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Campbell River, BC

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:48 AM

We have 4 synscan hand controllers here (3 came with mounts, and I scooped up a spare off the swap table at a star party last summer). I've had issues upgrading them using tbe loader v 2.8 and earlier. I have one notebook with a pl2303 usb serial adapter that works, at the low speed. Same adapter in any of our other computers and the upgrade fails. The ftdi adapter fails in all computers.

Last nite I downloaded and tried the V3 firmware loader. With the pl2303 adapter in my desktop machine, and the netbook, it updated the hand controllers without a hiccup. Didn't work on either of these with the 2.8 loader.

I think the new loader has solved some of the serial timing issues, and ugrading (or downgrading) the hc firmware isn't the scary exercise it once was.

#7 John J

John J

Viking 1

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:53 AM

There is no response for the polar scope led "Problem". It is a fact that it it built into the circuit board as it is. Don't let all these other folks fool you. If it is bright it will remain bright. There is no software fix. It is hardware embedded into the circuit board. I am an engineer and from the looks of my board there is nothing you can do but to change the bias resistor.

JJ

#8 John J

John J

Viking 1

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:09 PM

NOT ANOTHER WORD ABOUT THE POLAR SCOPE LED BRIGHTNESS.IT CANOT BE CONTROLLED. IT IS A HARDWARE EMBEDDED FEATURE AND CAN ONLY BE CONTROLLED BY THE RESISTOR LEADING TO IT. NOW ENOUGH ABOUT THIS.
JJ

#9 Coromandel

Coromandel

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:58 PM

NOT ANOTHER WORD ABOUT THE POLAR SCOPE LED BRIGHTNESS.IT CANOT BE CONTROLLED. IT IS A HARDWARE EMBEDDED FEATURE AND CAN ONLY BE CONTROLLED BY THE RESISTOR LEADING TO IT. NOW ENOUGH ABOUT THIS.
JJ

I understand your frustration! This issue has been explained many times already.

ONLY those EQ6 and Atlas mounts which have the version 2 or later CONTROLLER PCB inside them can use the polarscope LED firmware feature. Just updating the firmware won't help at all if you don't have a v2 control PCB.

That's been explained here on CN over and over.

Regarding the firmware upgrade issue some people have, according to the guy I know who looks after his school's EQ6 Pro mounts, he has used the older versions of the firmware loader to upgrade those mounts for 2 or 3 years with no problems ever. The USB-to-serial device he has is a "Prolific PL2303" model.

If you are using the same and are having problems, chances are it's not the loader or USB-to-serial device that is giving you grief.

#10 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:58 PM

Okay folks, let's avoid turning every Atlas/EQ6 thread into a re-hash of the polar scope issue, okay? It's very bad form to just hijack the conversation in this way.

On the other hand, getting bent out of shape over the issue isn't at all helpful either. Let's keep it civil, please.

Charlie

#11 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:45 PM

Just for completeness, the Support email at Skywatcher seems to be one way only; I haven't heard of a reply. KW Telescopes and Orion seem to provide better feedback, especially KW Telescopes since the co-owner, Dr. Brady Johnson, has some input and working contact with the SynScan software folks.

#12 alpal

alpal

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 19 January 2010 - 05:45 AM

I did get a reply but via the dealer.
I am still waiting on information on a method
to identify the type 2 PCB in an NEQ6 mount.

#13 jim molinari

jim molinari

Explorer 1

• Loc: California

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:17 PM

I have installed, and used, the V3.27 Synscan frimware (I used the version 3.0 loader which reduced the update time from about an hour to less than 5 minutes). I have used each previous version starting with 3.21. Version 3.27 fixes problems that exist within all those previous versions. It worked perfectly for me the two nights I have used it and I have not yet found any problems with it. So, my opinion is that it is the best version so far. I did not try PAE because my GoTo performance is quite accurate. And, I did not try using the SAO catalog.
Jim

#14 Coromandel

Coromandel

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:45 PM

I did get a reply but via the dealer.
I am still waiting on information on a method
to identify the type 2 PCB in an NEQ6 mount.

As I understand it, the PCB version number can be displayed on the hand controller LCD and with EQMOD.

Did you ever think of checking the EQ6 and EQMOD Yahoo! groups? Apparently this matter was thoroughly discussed to death there months ago. It's been the subject of many past threads here on CN too.

#15 alpal

alpal

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 19 January 2010 - 04:39 PM

"Did you ever think of checking the EQ6 and EQMOD Yahoo! groups?"

Yes I joined up & received about 50 yahoo emails.
I still haven't sorted through them & all their titles
have nothing to do with my problem.

#16 Steve Darden

Steve Darden

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: GA

Posted 19 January 2010 - 04:42 PM

I'll be a guinea pig. The manual says to use a 7.5 to 15v/100 mA DC power supply with the HC when updating. Is there any reason I can't use the power pack that I use to run the mount? It's a 12 volt power supply but didn't know if there is a problem running it directly to the hand controller.

#17 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 19 January 2010 - 04:53 PM

"Did you ever think of checking the EQ6 and EQMOD Yahoo! groups?"

Yes I joined up & received about 50 yahoo emails.
I still haven't sorted through them & all their titles
have nothing to do with my problem.

You won't get much help that way; the issue has been so beat to death that no one currently has a reason to discuss it. You need to post your question on the EQ6 forum and check the responses, or do a search on the archive to access the dozens of threads on the topic.

In EQMOD, the support documentation can be daunting at first. When you registered, you should have gotten an email that tells how to get to the wiki that really details the capabilities. What you are looking for is the instructions on downloading and installing the latest version (only should take a few minutes), then connect to the mount directly, not through the hand controller. The EQMOD setup window will tell you the board ID, since that is necessary for EQMOD to correctly drive the tracking. Not only does the polar illuminator have three different possible configurations (always too bright, always too dim, adjustable), there are a couple of different tracking conversion rates to get the RA motor to perform correctly. This is transparent to the user with the hand controller, which reads the board config on bootup and automatically sets the right rate conversion for the card, but EQMOD needs it as well in order to set the correct input rate to get the track rate. So, EQMOD has the board check function built in.

#18 alpal

alpal

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 19 January 2010 - 06:22 PM

Post deleted by alpal

#19 alpal

alpal

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:33 AM

Post deleted by alpal

#20 alpal

alpal

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:45 PM

Post deleted by alpal

#21 RandallK

RandallK

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:14 AM

Post deleted by RandallK

#22 Charlie Hein

Charlie Hein

Voyager 1

• Administrators
  • Loc: 26.06.08N, +80.23.08W

Posted 22 January 2010 - 07:04 AM

Folks, the OP has repeatedly asked that folks stop hijacking this thread with discussions about the polar scope adjustment that are being very adequately covered elsewhere, and this has essentially been ignored, even when I myself have asked for the same consideration. I feel the need to step in and correct this situation now.

If you are here to post about the polar LED brightness issue, please go to this thread to post. Any further posts in this thread on the topic of polar scope LED brightness will be deleted.

This may not happen in time to save this particular thread, but the point needs to be made that overt thread hijacking is just plain rude.

#23 gkliethermes

gkliethermes

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:03 PM

I doubt you'll get a response from Sky-Watcher if you used the customer support feature on their website. I didn't get any response to my queries last summer even though the issue was a real one. My problem at the time was the directional keys becoming useless after using the SAO catalog. They fixed the problem with the latest patch, but I never got any response from SkyWatcher support.

It took a few weeks, but SkyWatcher USA eventually responded to a request I sent via the website. It wasn't a helpful response (they told me to find a Canadian dealer) but at least they eventually sent me an email.

#24 Kenny2004

Kenny2004

Vendor - Icodome

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:09 AM

I upgraded to V3.27, but haven't had a chance to test it out yet. Of course if there are issues, could always downgrade.

I notice that the database gets updated too. I wonder if the object count has been expanded just as well in that regard. Anyone have any ideas or just as well, if there is comprehensive list somewhere that list all the objects programmed in Synscan?

#25 John_G

John_G

Messenger

• -----

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:13 AM

I just upgraded to v3.27. This upgrade went better than it did with v3.25 even though I'm using the same USB to serial converter. With v3.25, I found I had to use the "Lo" setting and it took about 25 minutes.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics