HEQ5 Piller Mount

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SimonC

SimonC

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:30 AM

I am trying to weigh up the pros and cons of a home made concrete piller or a steel piller. To be honest price is the biggest issue. I have seen the following piller mount for HEQ5 http://www.opticalvi...ding_pro_models

It is £179. I am wondering if this would be suitable for astro photography if I was to bolt the legs to a concrete base. I would be using a 10" Skywatcher reflector on a HEQ5 mount.

If I was to purchase this, I was thinking of sinking threaded rod bolts into the concrete foundation that would site either side of each leg and use a steel plate to bolt down the legs.

I dont think I could do it any cheaper than this. If I was to build a concrete pier and buy pier adapter plates, I would be looking at about £400 and have no option to reuse the pier if I was to move house.

#2 Southpaw

Southpaw

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Knoxville, TN

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:36 AM

I had one of these with an LXD-75 on it. It was a very sturdy set up. I did not have mine mounted in concrete but would simply carry the whole set up outside and set the legs on some concrete stepping stones I had buried in the ground a little. This is in my book more sturdy than a tripod.

I think what you are planning to do would work great. My only concern would be isolating the concrete the the pier is connected to from what I was walking on.

Good luck!

#3 SimonC

SimonC

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 January 2010 - 10:47 AM

Thanks for the feedback Chad.

The mount will be going in an observatory that is yet to be built. So the Concrete slab will be under and seperate from the floor that I will be walking on.

#4 sailor70623

sailor70623

Gemini

• Loc: Ok.

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:47 PM

Should work fine.

#5 SimonC

SimonC

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 January 2010 - 03:03 PM

I made the decission and purchase the piller today from telescopeplanet.co.uk. I can get on with laying the slab and building the observatory now.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics