Photo

Serious Question about a mount

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MorningStar1969

MorningStar1969

Viking 1

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:51 PM

Is the Orion Sirius mount a worthy upgrade to the CG5. I would want to mount an 8 inch f/6 or 7 newt or C11 SCT. Also, i HATE the noise of the CG5. Is the Sirius less noisy when slewing to targets? Would it be better to bypass the Sirius and go straight for the Atlas? Lastly, is there a cheaper version than the Orion floating around out there? Thanks in advance.

#2 hudson_yak

hudson_yak

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hyde Park, NY, USA

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:35 PM

Go straight to the Atlas. The Sirius comes with the skinnier tripod legs of the SVP and CG4. Makes a big difference.

Both the Atlas and Sirius are quieter than the CG5 according to most everybody.

Mike

#3 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MA

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:19 AM

Like Mike said, or the CGEM if you like the Celestron HC software and features.

#4 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:56 PM

Go with the Atlas. It's quiet, reliable, and will be rock solid with an 8" Newt (I have one) and should be more than enough for a C11. A friend of mine recently picked up a C11 and I will be getting together with him specifically to test his OTA on my Atlas...because I'm thinking about getting one of them too. Clear Skies, BrianB.

#5 groz

groz

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Campbell River, BC

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:00 PM

We've got both, the HEQ5 (sirius) and an EQ6 (Atlas). For an 8 inch newt, or 11 inch SCT, you want the bigger one. We've currently got a Megrez 110 on the HEQ5, and it handles the scope with no problems. I wouldn't hesitate to put the 8 inch sct on it either. But an 8 inch newt, or 11 inch sct, I wouldn't try them on the HEQ5, I'd put those on the EQ6.

Compared to a CG5, both of these are essentially 'silent'.

#6 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Under the clouds!

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:18 AM

Is the Orion Sirius mount a worthy upgrade to the CG5.

As most other said the Atlas or NEQ6 is a better upgrade... back to your original question though...

Yes, the Sirius is a worthy upgrade to the CG5.

#7 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:21 AM

The Sirius mount is definitely not an upgrade from the CG5. In fact I would call it a downgrade and I own a Sirius mount.

#8 MorningStar1969

MorningStar1969

Viking 1

Posted 21 January 2010 - 07:37 PM

What about if i were to use my CG5, 2 inch stainless steel tubular tripod on the Sirius? Are you guys saying that the tripod is the weak link in this unit? Thanks for all the help thus far.

Lane. That is a rather bold opinion. You may want to elaborate a bit when you make such statements.

#9 nofxrx

nofxrx

Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Palm Bay,Florida

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:40 PM

I would have to agree with Lane..I have owned both and definately thought the ASGT was at the bottom of the barrel compared to the Sirius,EQ6,CGE(current) mounts I have owned.

It is LOUD!It has decent Goto's with small FOV's.It doesnt have the best PA fine adjustments.it DOES have very good HC/firmware/controls..I absolutely love the Nexstar system.Downright best thing I have ever used in this hobby!
The CGE is by far the best bang for the $!!

my :penny::penny:

CS!!

#10 hudson_yak

hudson_yak

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hyde Park, NY, USA

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:13 AM

What about if i were to use my CG5, 2 inch stainless steel tubular tripod on the Sirius? Are you guys saying that the tripod is the weak link in this unit?

The tripod is a weak link. For a C11 the Sirius head would be considered a weak link too. Certainly the Sirius on the stouter tripod would be an improvement.

The Sirius is an upgrade as far as noise and overall packaging goes. The CG5 has better software and is likely more rigid when each is used on the tripods they come with.

I'd give serious thought to the CGEM too if I was contemplating this.

Mike

#11 alpal

alpal

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne Australia.

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:22 AM

Is the Orion Sirius mount a worthy upgrade to the CG5. I would want to mount an 8 inch f/6 or 7 newt or C11 SCT. Also, i HATE the noise of the CG5. Is the Sirius less noisy when slewing to targets? Would it be better to bypass the Sirius and go straight for the Atlas? Lastly, is there a cheaper version than the Orion floating around out there? Thanks in advance.

This all depends on the weight & bending moment of your
Newtonian.
I am using an NEQ6 mount.
My Newt uses sonotube instead of thin walled aluminium
& that coupled with Antares tube rings creates a large
bending moment & weight.
I think it's over 14 Kgs.
I have no trouble with just viewing but I doubt that it
would be steady enough for long exposure astro photography.
The stars might start to look like eggs but I'm not sure
as I haven't hooked up a camera yet.
I've been told that people doing astro photography tend to
use light weight refractors on the NEQ6 mount.

#12 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:35 AM

Yes... the CGE, it has certainly banged my $ :( And very unfortunately it has continued to bang my $'s.

I think to recommennd that mount I have to caveat that most problematic thing with the mount is the cabling - it's just a bad design and you may have the 'runaway' problem... going with the thin cables from VPI may help for a while, but the best 'fix' is going with the mod sold by G Bennett can be found the CGE uncensored user group. It is the most complained about thing on the mount.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics