There was some incredible activity today. Today's prominences:

Attached Files

#2 TenthEnemy

TenthEnemy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:33 PM

And this is a sequence of the most incredible prominence I have ever seen, the whole sequence is just over one half hour. I threw together a quick video as well: Youtube

Attached Files

#3 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:04 PM

TE,

These sketches and the sketch sequence is very well done. :bow: :rainbow: :cool:

Frank :)

#4 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:17 PM

Tenth

Beautiful documentation of the prominences. I especially like the sequence. :bow: :bow: :bow: I know you must have been thrilled to watch the change. That is the part that many have never witnessed. The sheer dynamism. It's alive! I watched a prominence like a long spiky shoestring while on the 10,000 mile road trip in 2000 stretch out over double the suns diameter and allowed the public to view it at an outside coffee house in Whitefish Montana. After 30 minutes it was gone. *That was through a Daystar .5 angstrom mated to a Celestron 8" Cassegrain that I took across the nation (not my current 40mm Coronado.) >
http://i10.photobuck...BMarkSeibol.jpg

Have you considered sending your images to Spaceweather.com ? If so, you have to be prompt as Dr. Tony Phillips posts images sometimes within minutes of solar observers sending. I can alert others to observe immediately and take note of changes. So it becomes a collaborative or peer review science (if even slightly delayed.) It is permanently archived in the Spaceweather back pages.

That sequence of sketches you produced is excellent. I wish we could get some clearing here in Portland. It has been solid clouds and rain for over two weeks now. I can't even see the new moon! :cloudy:

In the name of science! . . . and of course observational art! :cool:

Mark
www.markseibold.com
My CN Gallery

10.1" f/4.5 Newtonian Coulter Dobsonian
Celestron Nexstar 5i
40mm Coronado Solar telescope
7 X 50mm Orion BAK4 Binoculars

“My mission responsibilities range over the entire operartion of the ship so I am constantly occupied; I’m putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any concious entity could ever hope to do.”

-The HAL Computer answering the journalist news reporters questions in 2001: A Space Odyssey c1968

#5 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 22 January 2010 - 03:48 AM

TE,

Excellent observations of prominences. They appear to come to life in your fine renderings. Thank you for sharing them with us all.

Carlos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics