Photo

Orion dual telescope mount?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Don Trinko

Don Trinko

Vanguard

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:01 AM

Anyone have the Orion dual telescope mount. How do you like it? (the one for $429.00 that holds 2 scopes side by side)
Thanks; Don T.

#2 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:37 PM

Have you checked out Explore Scientific's Giro clone alt az? It goes for S499, is on the same tripod as the Orion and looks very strong. I have a WO EZ which is a lot like the Orion. It's an excellent mount for my 7" mak and 4.3" refractor but my C 9.25 is way too much for it. David

#3 Don Trinko

Don Trinko

Vanguard

Posted 21 January 2010 - 04:29 PM

Thanks David. I will Check the giro clone out. I am familiar with the WO but it looks like I need to spend more money to get what I want.(another dove tail adapter, tripod) I will go that route if there is a problem with the Orion. I'm mostly concerned abought smooth movement. Don T.

#4 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:01 PM

>>>I'm mostly concerned abought smooth movement.<<<

I have one and use one or both of my 16 lb OTAs on it. The shafts are supported in teflon bearings and are reasonably smooth, but there is some sticktion, which is proportional to how tight the friction is. Very little friction produces very little sticktion. More friction and the sticktion goes up too.

#5 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:03 PM

Tne EZ is very smooth, tracking is a very easy even at high power. The thing I don't like about it is that the axis don't lock down when tightend like the do on my Giro and SW AZ4. The scope will often nose dive when a eyepiece is removed. If the mount is not level no amount of tightening will stop it from rotating, I have a counter weight on the mount. I don't know if the Orion has the same problem. David

#6 John_G

John_G

Messenger

• -----

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:07 PM

>>>I'm mostly concerned abought smooth movement.<<<

I have one and use one or both of my 16 lb OTAs on it. The shafts are supported in teflon bearings and are reasonably smooth, but there is some sticktion, which is proportional to how tight the friction is. Very little friction produces very little sticktion. More friction and the sticktion goes up too.

I notice this as well. On mine, I can also start to hear the bearings rubbing a little when I tighten the altitude axis.

#7 drshr

drshr

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 January 2010 - 05:51 AM

It is a good mount and holds a decent weight. I find the small grub screws to be a weakness, making tightening difficult and allowing some slop to develop.
Check out the doublestar mount. Can handle more weight and avoids tripod interference.
Very difficult to find any info on the twilight ES mount.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics