Photo

Which Berlebach tripod ?

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#101 etsleds

etsleds

Messenger

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:35 PM

It is reasonable that the proper setup depends on your mode of use. I setup more frequently on hard surfaces, so an attached spreader and chain works well, or the limiters built into the hub of the Tak tripods.

I personally would not count on the leg clamps at the hub to limit legs splaying out, the bearing surfaces are simply too small and smooth to stand up to significant torque.

On that note, I'm actually not so sure how strong those safety chains are, whether the clips or the center split ring would hold up to a heavy setup.

I suppose my experience is also a reinforcement of the scope is last on / first off rule I was taught.

#102 Doug D.

Doug D.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:56 PM

The safety chain is just for that - safety; for the one time you maybe decide to move the tripod and mount/scope in entirety onto a slicker surface (non-grass w/non-spiked feet) and the tray isn't in place or has popped out and your legs aren't tightened up. I always kept my legs firmly tightened at the top except the one time when I didn't. The safety chain prevented a potential disaster. That is another reason why I find the spreader useful, it would replace the safety chain with one less thing to worry about.

#103 Scruffy

Scruffy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arkansas

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:18 PM

I had an accident last week ...

So, chains and probably the folding spreader are really a must for safety on this tripod. I checked out the Tak tripod, which carries a heavier load, and the legs and center hub are built to prevent the legs from splaying out.

Great info. Now considering the UNI 14 so chains and spreader it is! :bow:

Thx
Jack

#104 Scruffy

Scruffy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arkansas

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:21 PM

Mark

I picked up a used Berlebach. It was called a UNI 15. It is beautiful in nutwood, but it is different than the UNI's I see on Teton or the German site. It looks near the same size of a UNI 14.

Legs are 3' wide, have two length adjuster clamps, sliding sections are marked each cm from 0-50, and have tension levers at the top of each. Top is flat with a 3/8 stud with spring loaded konb.

The legs seem to have a spread lock enforced at the leg crown rather than a chain or other spread control mechanism.

Have you ever seen one of these? Am I just not understanding the leg spread limits? Can I trust it to lock and not need a chain or other spread restraint?
I assume I could get the leg spreader, but wonder if it is needed/desired.
Any help would be appreciated.

#105 chrishet

chrishet

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Deerlick Astronomy Village, GA

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:01 PM

I have been reading through this thread in prep for a new tripod purchase for my ap130gt and gm8. I was working with mark at Teton but this week he made the decision to close his biz...sad news indeed. I could use a little advice from those Berlebach owners out there. As background I will not use this setup for deep space AP, probably some lunar/solar...mostly a grab n go setup. I would also like to use the tripod for terrestrial photography, with the 130 as well as other long FL lenses...video as well. 1) the uni14 ses to be a good match for my use...portable and solid... Or should I go for the taller uni24? Thoughts? 2) I have an LW mount with MA adapter, should I order the uni with the 3/8 bolt or should I order the Losmandy adapter? Thanks for any and all advice...

#106 chrishet

chrishet

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 October 2010 - 09:02 PM

Pardon my iPhone typos....

#107 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:43 PM

I've been thinking about the Planet tripod for my G-11. I'd either be carrying my 5" AP or C11 on it.

The G-11 tripod is quite steady, but it's seven pounds heavier than the Planet, and sometimes I get tired of the bending and the assembling. (I need a robot).

For the C11 make sure you get the Casady or other tip in saddle so you can do the side mounting technique.

This is especially important with the Berlebach tripods because there isn't much clamp pressure on the legs compared to the Losmandy design. Different grunt 'n' groan mounting techniques for a c14 or c11 can put additional pressure on one of the legs, forcing it down even when tightened.

It's one of the design tradeoffs. I prefer my Berlebach for winter observing conditions when I don't like to be dealing with super chilled metal. Also, the Berlebach is a bit faster to set up than a G11 with its legs.

But it's not entirely an open and shut case as to which is better. My *preferred* OTA for the Berlebach tripod is my 5" refractor. (which is light enough that I don't need the side mounting technique)

Although the video suggests that one can do a side-mount technique with a G11 default saddle plate, subsequent experiments have suggested this isn't easy, though it can be done.

Greg N

#108 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:47 PM

*edit - here is a nice photo-shoot Greg did of the Planet w/ G11 (sorry, no centerfold), not sure if you can see it w/o being a member of the losmandy yahoo group:

http://groups.yahoo....539821/pic/list

I think you have to be a member to get to the file, but there's a consolation prize pretty picture here:

http://www.astromart...?article_id=663

Greg N

#109 hudson_yak

hudson_yak

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hyde Park, NY, USA

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:47 AM

I have been reading through this thread in prep for a new tripod purchase for my ap130gt and gm8. I was working with mark at Teton but this week he made the decision to close his biz...sad news indeed. I could use a little advice from those Berlebach owners out there. As background I will not use this setup for deep space AP, probably some lunar/solar...mostly a grab n go setup. I would also like to use the tripod for terrestrial photography, with the 130 as well as other long FL lenses...video as well. 1) the uni14 ses to be a good match for my use...portable and solid... Or should I go for the taller uni24? Thoughts? 2) I have an LW mount with MA adapter, should I order the uni with the 3/8 bolt or should I order the Losmandy adapter? Thanks for any and all advice...

I would have considered that size scope on a GM-8 and LW tripod pretty marginal but since you've been using it already I guess you're familiar with it. It's safe to say the UNI won't be any worse than the LW tripod, though it isn't hugely better either. Most obvious improvement is in twist rigidity (rotation around the vertical). It is nicer to look at and a bit easier to set up.

The UNI-24 allows for more leg overlap, and will gain rigidity from that, especially if you get the second set of leg clamps. Since there's more wood it would weigh a bit more than the -14 and not collapse as much of course.

I don't know how well the MA adapter matches up with the UNI, though I'm pretty sure I've read some use it. The Losmandy adapter from Berlebach is very nice, and has an open bottom (it's attached by six perimeter screws) so may be a bit lighter than the MA adapter. The 3/8" bolt comes with the UNI regardless and just hangs there unused in this configuration.

Mike

#110 chrishet

chrishet

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:11 AM

Thx Mike. Being that I would like to use this tripod for multiple uses it is important to have access to the plate and 3/8 bolt. The folks at Berlebach are telling me that you can remove the adapter from the plate, but there is a different plate used for the Losmandy adapter...they haven't told me if there is a 3/8 bolt still included, that would be nice.

#111 hudson_yak

hudson_yak

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hyde Park, NY, USA

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:29 AM

Ok, it would make sense that they wouldn't drill the holes for the Losmandy adapter in the tripod plate unless you told them you were getting that for it as well. I've found the Berlebach website a little unclear as to these various options, but I'm pretty sure mine is basically a regular UNI-*4 series with the additional holes for the adapter.

Buying from Mark made it easy in my case, so I didn't have to wonder about it. Mine did come with the center bolt so if I ever decide to go to an alt-az it's ready for it.

Removing the Berlebach Losmandy adapter would not be something you'd want to be doing very often, so if you anticipate wanting to do that often it would make more sense to go with the regular tripod and the MA adapter. I had to remove the legs to get access clearance for a hex wrench on the adapter screws, though Mark said a hex wrench with the "swivel" ball type of end works without the need to remove the legs.

Mike

#112 chrishet

chrishet

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:50 PM

Thx all for the feedback, online and off...I ended up finding a used UNI24 for my GM8 and AP130 (Thx Phil!). He also had a UNI14 and LW tripod, and after seeing the three side by side the UNI24 seemed to be a better match for this mount/OTA config. The UNI14 was about the same size as the Losmandy LW tripod which is OK but the UNI24 had a height that was IMHO more suitable, visually, for the 130 scope.

Bottom line, this mount/tripod appears to be a good config for my goal of a grab n go visual setup for the AP 130GT, but I don't think the GM8 could handle much more. I don't think this is a realistic imaging setup (maybe some lunar or solar or DSLR widefield) but for visual is should rock.

I also got a second set of leg clamps from Phil that should enhance the stability and I ordered the Leg Locks (Spreader) from Berebach...

Just what the doctor ordered!

Here is a pic of the tripod with my GM8 and AP130GT.

Posted Image

#113 dUbeni

dUbeni

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lisboa, Portugal

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:40 PM

Thank you people, this thread has been very helpful. I added it to the my favorites a couple years ago because I knew I would need it someday.
So, after acquiring my first refractor (second hand Vixen ED80S, f9) a taller tripod was required, and here it is a truly amazing sturdy piece of wood, a UNI18 with double clamps and spread stopper. I opted for spread stopper because I'm used to it, and I feel it makes any tripod more stable and stiff, two things I like when my companions join me on my observations, the cat Yuki and dog Will, they like to play around and under the tripod, I have to keep them away sometimes.
I'm 5'5" tall (1,66m), not much :cool:, for the moment i'm using it at 35" (90cm), but maybe I'll try it 4 or 5" higher next time.
I placed my order on monday the 26th and received it yesterday.
Here, on my current city, under very low transparency but fairly stable skies I watched comfortably the double double and made a sketch. Great first impression.

and here it is:
Posted Image

my city corner on this planet (I have others in other planets :lol:)

Posted Image

A great improvement in comfort.
I could go on and on about the things I like about it.

Thank you
Bernardo Andrade

#114 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

Bernardo,

Great lookingscope and tripod!

Mike

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics