• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 scibuff

scibuff

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Bratislava, Slovakia

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:40 AM

Hi guys, I'm pretty much set on buying the EQ6 Pro mount but then I saw this EQ6 EVO Upgrade and I was wondering what the advantages were over the classic and if the extra £400 was worth it.

p.s. see my other CN post for more info about what I'll be using the mount for.

Thank you

#2 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:08 AM

Hi guys, I'm pretty much set on buying the EQ6 Pro mount but then I saw this EQ6 EVO Upgrade and I was wondering what the advantages were over the classic and if the extra £400 was worth it.

p.s. see my other CN post for more info about what I'll be using the mount for.

Thank you

The advantages are pretty much set forth in the advertisement. Better counterweight shaft. Losmandy dovetail (like on the NEQ-6) rather than the Vixen on the EQ-6. Pretty counterweight, etc.

Is it for you? Much depends on what you want to do with the mount. If you are planning on really loading it down, these upgrades can be a Good Thing. For the small refractors and 8-inch SCT I believe you contemplate using? Not So Much...if still nice, cool to have...etc.

Oh, by "classic" I assume you mean today's SynScan go-to EQ-6.

#3 scibuff

scibuff

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Bratislava, Slovakia

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:51 AM

Thanks for the comment, yes by "classic" I meant the SynScan go-to EQ-6 PRO.

So I guess this upgrade would be nice to have forAP when the payload approaches the mount's limit?!

Another thing is, is this something that is relatively easy to install on one's own, or would it be better to have the shop to assemble the mount with the upgrade (basically, since I'm gonna buy only a light WO ZS 80, i wouldn't get the upgrade now, but would consider it with a 8-10" OTA)

thank you

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics