Photo

How bad is it to leave a GEM unattended?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 gatsbyiv

gatsbyiv

Viking 1

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:48 PM

Sorry, but I haven't been able to find a clear answer to this question. If I leave my mount outside to track an object overnight, and the mount reaches its physical limit long before I straggle out of bed, are the servos (or steppers) sitting there straining? If so, how bad is this? I've heard that some mounts have limit switches to stop this, but what if the physical collision happens before the maximum rotation of the axis is reached?

Thanks for your help! (BTW, I have an LXD75 now, but I'm upgrading to a CGEM soon.)

#2 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:10 PM

Your mount has programmable limits in it.....It is not a practice I would use but with the limits set properly you shouldnt have any issues, that is what they are for.

#3 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

Posted 23 January 2010 - 11:26 PM

I leave mine unattended all the time when I am imaging.
:sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy:

#4 mikertx

mikertx

Mariner 2

Posted 24 January 2010 - 01:05 AM

If the limits are set properly it's fine. But, a better solution is to add some automation to your setup. I use ACP and it parks my scope and closes my roof long before I crawl out of bed. ACP is expensive but CCDCommander is cheap and it works very well. You can try the free trial.

Mike

#5 Kenny2004

Kenny2004

Vendor - Icodome

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:16 AM

Alternatively if you're using an AC to DC power supply, you can have it on a timer and cut the power to the rig at a certain time. That's what I would do if all measures aren't available otherwise.

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:07 AM

Sorry, but I haven't been able to find a clear answer to this question. If I leave my mount outside to track an object overnight, and the mount reaches its physical limit long before I straggle out of bed, are the servos (or steppers) sitting there straining? If so, how bad is this? I've heard that some mounts have limit switches to stop this, but what if the physical collision happens before the maximum rotation of the axis is reached?

Thanks for your help! (BTW, I have an LXD75 now, but I'm upgrading to a CGEM soon.)

I would NEVER leave any mount powered up and tracking unattended over the course of an evening. Even assuming you don't ram into a leg when you get much past the Meridian, too much can happen, including isolated rain showers and Fido lifting his leg. Why do you need to do this? You can hibernate the scope, and it will retain its alignment, but will not be tracking.

#7 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

Posted 24 January 2010 - 01:21 PM

You can move over to a fork mount- they just keep rotating since they don't have a flip over requirement.

-Rich

#8 gatsbyiv

gatsbyiv

Viking 1

Posted 24 January 2010 - 04:41 PM

Thanks for the tips. I've thought about the timed power strip idea myself, and that's probably what I'll do.

Rod - I should have clarified that I am doing this because the scope is imaging. It's 20 degrees outside, and I'd really like to avoid getting up at 4am just to go out and pull the plug on the mount!

#9 AlienFirstClass

AlienFirstClass

Vendor

• -----

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:08 PM

Thanks for the tips. I've thought about the timed power strip idea myself, and that's probably what I'll do.

Rod - I should have clarified that I am doing this because the scope is imaging. It's 20 degrees outside, and I'd really like to avoid getting up at 4am just to go out and pull the plug on the mount!

Does anyone have a suggestion for the timed outlet?

Links to recommended strips would be appreciated.

Thanks

#10 coopfore1

coopfore1

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:50 PM

Mike do you usually let your AS-GT track all night unattended ?

#11 zoran

zoran

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:52 AM

With Losmandy mounts it is no problem. They have clutches, so if the scope hits the mount, the clutches just slip. That's why I like them for AP.
Regards,
Zoran

#12 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:17 AM

I used to leave my CG5 running all night and it never had any problems. I've run my CGEM all night as well. What I am going to try near term is using VNC to control my laptop from inside the house, and access NexRemote to place it in Home position, then Hibernate from the warmth of the house.

#13 Kenny2004

Kenny2004

Vendor - Icodome

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:06 AM

I just use one of them timers that you can set for a specific duration. Ie. 2, 4, 6 or 8 hours. So if I"m starting at 11p.m., and want to shut things off for 5a.m.
as dawn appears, I press a button to time for 6 hours.

I've never seen actual power strips with a timer on them though.

#14 JadeSmith

JadeSmith

Viking 1

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:12 AM

You can get a timer from Home Depot for $10...they are usually by the extension cords. Cheap and easy... I have a few of them for a grow light I use to start vegetable seeds every spring. They work great. It should work for your mount too if you're using a power supply (which it sounds like you are)

#15 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:09 AM

If I am looking to image for a few nights in a row, I will drag my sorry arse out of bed to get the mount in to Hibernate. Saves time the following session by not having to do any alignments.

#16 mega256

mega256

Viking 1

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:37 PM

Hey that sounds like something we should add to EQMOD...should be easy to do....Set a time to go to the park
position......

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics