• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Javier

Javier

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:55 AM

Hi folks,

I own a CG-5 Go-To mount. I'm wondering if anyone knows what the real world weight limit is for this mount for visual use?

Thanks,

Javier

#2 Joe Lalumia

Joe Lalumia

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Quinlan, Texas, USA

Posted 24 January 2010 - 12:01 PM

30 lbs--- 1/2 that for astro-photography

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 24 January 2010 - 02:25 PM

Carrying capacity can be affected by a number of factors ...

1) The scope itself - A long tube scope will be more problematic than a compact one. A 10" newtonian is going to be a problem, a 10" SCT much less so (but could still be a lot for the mount to handle)
2) Balance - How carefully you balance your setup will affect just how well the mount will carry the load.
3) Anti vibration accessories - Adding anti vibration pads will often mean that you can carry a bit more scope under visual conditions. Adding weight under the spreader bar also helps reduce vibrations.
4) How robust the scope connection is - Loose or marginal connection problems are magnified with a heavier scope. They can drive you crazy trying to find vibration or flexure problems. If you're pushing the limits of the mount it's often a good investment to upgrade the dovetail bar.
5) How you setup the mount - Do you need to observe with the legs extended? Then while you'll likely find that the mount is more stable that there is also more vibration than when the legs are retracted.
6) Whether or not your mount has been "tuned". Grease - while the newer CG5s are much better in this regard than older models any CG-5 can benefit from being cleaned and regreased with a better quality lubricant, this really helps cold weather operation. Smoother operating axis are easier to balance and tend to be able to carry more weight. Gear lash adjustments - adjusting the preload and lash on the gears means that they will operate without any binding and the reduction in backlash that will show up visually and while imaging.
7) Power - an undersized power supply (less than 1 amp) can cause a heavily loaded CG-5 to bog down. A good solid 2+ amp supply or a battery will ensure that there's plenty of power ... this also helps in really cold weather.

As a general rule the mount can carry 30-35lbs of equipment visually but it will be happier with under 25lbs. For imaging try and keep the equipment weight under 20lbs, with less than 15lbs being preferred.

#4 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:02 AM

Hi folks,

I own a CG-5 Go-To mount. I'm wondering if anyone knows what the real world weight limit is for this mount for visual use?

Thanks,

Javier

The practical max is the C11. With the scope balanced, and a set of vibration suppression pads under the tripod tips, it does pretty well--thanks to the short tube of the 11.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics