11 replies to this topic

#1 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:40 PM

Posted Image
Due to increasing clouds last night, I was still determined to see something so I went out and just looked up at Mars naked eye, imagining what we might see on its surface if we could go to Phobos. I researched the web for an hour for details that I would hope to see on Mars say if we could set foot on Phobos. Ironically the feature Valles Marineris is on the side facing us tonight. The sketch portended things to come as we have crystal clear skies tonight and still air. I hope others with good telescopes will be inspired to possibly observe this feature. I have sketched it oversized and added the planets atmosphere.

I produced this sketch as only practice and then had my professional photographer friend photograph it after I took an earlier unfinished image of it. These were then set side by side in Photoshop. The Sony 5.1 mgpxl consumer grade camera image is on the right taken in dim north daylight- The Sigma 24 meg image is on the left and taken in a studio with white balanced photoflash.

*See the Image of the feature Valles Marineris from the Viking mapping done years ago.
http://nssdc.gsfc.na.../marsglobe1.jpg

It is stunning; Also see the image of Phobos in Wikipedia. http://nssdc.gsfc.na.../marsglobe1.jpg

I turned the photo of Phobos with the crater upright. See it enlarged. The material on its surface appears as copper especially if the photo id contrasted up a little.

I had never seen these photos before.

I combined the two photos onto black Strathmore Artagain paper in 19 X 25" format with various pastel chalks. I'll add an early photo showing much in the material used at the drawing board for those who may have questions about the chalks and material as before.

*Edited as I finally decided to spellcheck :foreheadslap: :question: :tonofbricks:

Mark
www.markseibold.com
My CN Gallery

#2 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:45 AM

Mark,

I love your capture of Valles Marineris with the details that go with it. Amazing. Arsia Mons, Pavonis Mons and Ascraeus Mons are also equally stunning as background items. Just love it. :bow: :bow: :bow: :jump: :bow:

On a side note if there is anyone here that is wondering where to get a free online Atlas of Mars you can find one here. It is by Ralph Aeschliman and is a very good site I think and I enjoy using it.

#3 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:09 AM

Mark

Very interesting site! Thanks a lot! The maps are more easily to read than those I had found on the internet yet.

Maybe for the real Mars-sketchers to gudge the quality of the site.

#4 deister

deister

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:14 AM

Hi Mark,

outstanding 3D view of scetched mars in details. You need no ETHOS in a binoviewer. Congratulations to the master.

#5 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:39 AM

Thanks Jay, Jef and Paul

The site Jay mentions has some beautiful surface maps of Mars. Thanks for the link.

I decided to include some rough progress images on the sketch although it was never really completed and only a sketching exercise as the time is appropriate right now for Mars. I observed it tonight. Although it was pefectly clear, the seeing was mediocre. I could only make out the north polar cap and a slight albedo darkening at one side with 200 x through my 10.1" Dobsonian and The Orion Sky Glow Filter to enhance the image.

The next following frames show some sequential process, the final one of the pastel chalks pictured at my drawing table as so many write to me asking for the descriptions of what they are. I'll add a brief description in the final frame.

Mark
Posted Image

#6 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:43 AM

Posted Image

A brief progression close-up of Mars Valles Marineris with Phobos pastel sketch. The disc of Mars was sketched at 12 1/2 inches in diameter. Many of the surface features were left unfinished, rough, unblended and may serve more as a color example of pastel chalk as an art work. -Mark

#7 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:32 AM

Posted Image

Final in sequence with close up of pastel chalks [a further close up of the pastels may be viewed at >
Pastel Chalk Display at drawing board - Mark S

In this photo from the top, just below left of the computer mouse, the materials are:

Colored pencils in color graphite,
Magnesium dual ported hand held pencil sharpener from Germany that I use aside from a hand held single edge razor to sharpen my pastel pencils,

The older pastels sitting in the box at top in browns, rust and the few blues in bare square sticks just below on the table include some that were given to me about 15 years ago and are from sets over 50 years old, Eagle Prisma Pastel, Eagle Pencil Co. (box is copyright 1936 !)

The square paper wrapped Swan Stabilo Carb Othello made in Germany in grey just below the paper sanding block is possibly from the late 1940's ~ early 1950's. I have several of those that I cherish for shadow shading of the moon. I cannot find anything like them as new today. The old quality is well, they just don't make them like they used to. When their gone, their gone. There are newer comparable brands out today but seem diminished in quality to me.

All that you see labeled REMBRANDT are made in Holland and Schmincke made in Germany *both round and wrapped in plastic~paper, are new pastels recently purchased. There is a round paper covered SARGENT in "Chrome Green Deep" made by The American Artists' Colorworks INC Brooklyn NY USA, possibly 50 years old, sitting just below the computer mouse under a bare square soft blue.

Just below right of that are two SCHMINCKE Pastell chalks wrapped in round paper in Ultra Marine Blue and Grey in "Ultra Soft texture (none of mine are oil pastels.) (note spelling on the Schmincke pastels with "double LL")

Various pastel pencils for roughing in preliminary lines are Swan Stabilo Carb Othello in painted color coded from Germany, Pitt Pastel by Faber Castell from Germany, are pencils bare wood unpainted wrapped.

Sanding block to quick sharpen pastel pencils, blending stumps, professional architects compass, HELIX stainless Steel metal ruler USA, Alvin French Curve Set from Germany, Staedtler Mars Plastic Eraser, Sanford DESIGN Kneaded Erasers, single edge razors for pastel pencil sharpening.

-Mark

#8 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:35 AM

Mark

Your work is allways a pleasure for the eyes! With the story behind a sketch it looks even more impressive. Thanks for taking the time to write and picture all this.

#9 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:50 PM

Mark,

A beautiful and accurate space art scene of Valles Marineris visible from Phobos. I feel as if I am an astronaut floating above Phobos looking down on Mars. Thank you for sharing this wonderful scene with us all.

Carlos

#10 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:22 PM

Mark,

Very impressive. Anyone that is regularly here has no doubts about your artistic skills. :) :bow: :cool: :rainbow:

Frank :)

#11 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:09 AM

Thanks Frank

I was really desperate to do something in relation to observing Mars. I'll have to get to a longer focal ratio telescope and do a real observation of surface details.

This was only a wild sketch practice session. I wonder if I even got Mars apparent angular size right as seen from Phobos. I just guessed after reading that Mars would cover one-quarter of the angular sky's dome if seen from an observer on Phobos. Imagine that! What a sight! My future dream observation outpost. :cool:

Mark

Here is even yet a link to a larger version >
Larger Image link to Mars Valles Marineris from Phobos- A 19" X 25" pastel sketch by Mark Seibold

#12 florid_lights

florid_lights

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 08 May 2011 - 04:58 PM

Wow! Am I the only one who immediately crossed eyes to try to see in 3D? Did you just post the images side by side to compare camera quality? Just a little tweaking on Phobos's location could make a great stereoscopic image! To be honest, it looks good even now.

Thanks for the wonderful sketch!

Ian

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics