Photo

Picked up a CGEM today

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 SanDiegoPaul

SanDiegoPaul

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 29 January 2010 - 01:14 AM

I am not familiar with the GeM setup at all but got through the setup just fine. The mount comes with a serial cable but it does not allow The Sky to connect? Why not?

It's a serial-to-handbox cable I'm using. I can use the handbox on the monitor if I choose ... but I want to connect with The Sky 6 Pro. Am I missing something obvious?

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:57 AM

Paul,

Does the cable work with other software? Are you using a serial-USB adapter or do you have a real serial port on your PC? If your using the USB adapter, are you getting an appropriate Comm port # generated?

Try another s/w configuration, something like the ASCOM, Celestron driver, SkyCharts (Cartes du Ciel) combination. Then you'll know if your dealing with a cable/h/w/driver problem or a s/w (the Sky) problem.

#3 waassaabee

waassaabee

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:00 AM

I think Mark nailed it about the ASCOM driver.

#4 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:32 PM

Agreed. I updated my ASCOM stuff to the Platform 5.5 update and my CGEM talks to Starry Night Pro with no issues. This is under Windows 7 using an HP laptop.

http://ascom-standar...loads/Index.htm

I am also using a KeySpan USB to serial port adapter model USA-19HS and it works fine ( Amazon has them for about $30). It is using INT 9. Your mileage may vary.

#5 nofxrx

nofxrx

Vendor (HyperCams & Mods)

• Vendors

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:43 PM

Well,Paul I think you went the right direction with the CGEM over the ASGT!!!!
For using your 10"R OTA you will need every bit of teh CGEM's performance...any bigger of an OTA and you would have needed a CGE...
Which I hear they are not making anymore,but trying to get rid of the left over stock...
might be some interesting deals soon...

Anyways,cant wait to see your images with the CGEM and the Raptor...you are going to love the Celestron HC SW...I think it is the best thing since sliced bread..so much fun,and a ton of features...oh yeah,it is deadly accurate too!!!!!

Cheers

#6 Gargoyle

Gargoyle

Ranger 4

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:32 PM

Hey Paul,

A friend had a similar problem (it was ASCOM), and was easily resolved with an update.

But I am very interested in how the CGEM works out for you as I am considering the same mount path. Please give us updates!!!!!!

Jerry

#7 Chris.Baron

Chris.Baron

Viking 1

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:49 AM

Paul,

I'm beginning to think you're taking my equipment as inspiration ;)

The serial cable that comes with the CGEM is for updating the firmware on the handcontroller, not controlling it. What you need is the auxiliary port accessory to control your mount from a computer. You plug this into the aux port on the mount, fire up NexRemote picking the com-port that it's physically connected to, and then pick a Virtual Port that it will create to allow other applications to connect to it.

I have mine set up via the ASCOM POTH hub with the Celestron Unified driver selected as the mount type. It can be grabbed here . You then need to setup the TeleAPI driver for theSky which can be downloaded here. . Follow the instructions for doing so.

When setting up the POTH and selecting the Celestron driver, pick the Virtual com-port that you set in NexRemote. Same thing with MaxIM if you use it.

If you don't have a proper serial port you will need a usb-serial adapter to connect the aux port kit. Celestron sells one, but it lists the following as units that are compatible:

ATEN UC-232A
Belkin F5U109
Belkin F5U103
Edgeport 2c
IOGear GUC232A
StarTech ICUSB232

I can tell you that not any old adapter will do having tried a few myself for a laptop setup. Thankfully my main imaging computer is a pc with a proper serial port.

Hope that helps. Post back here if you have any questions so we can keep it in the thread for other folks with the same questions.

Cheers,
Chris

#8 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:24 AM

The serial cable that comes with the CGEM is for updating the firmware on the handcontroller, not controlling it. What you need is the auxiliary port accessory to control your mount from a computer. You plug this into the aux port on the mount, fire up NexRemote picking the com-port that it's physically connected to, and then pick a Virtual Port that it will create to allow other applications to connect to it.
Chris

This is absolutely untrue, the serial HC cable is capable of both doing firmware updates and controlling the mount via software on a PC/Mac. You do not need the AUX port accessory/PC port.

You can as Chris has said also use the AUX port accessory/PC port and Nexremote to create a virtual port but it's absolutely not a necessity. One of the benefits of going with the PC port is that if you wanted to you could completely remove the HC.

#9 Chris.Baron

Chris.Baron

Viking 1

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:35 AM

Chris

This is absolutely untrue, the serial HC cable is capable of both doing firmware updates and controlling the mount via software on a PC/Mac. You do not need the AUX port accessory/PC port.

You can as Chris has said also use the AUX port accessory/PC port and Nexremote to create a virtual port but it's absolutely not a necessity. One of the benefits of going with the PC port is that if you wanted to you could completely remove the HC.

Ah, that's right. To clarify you can control the mount with that cable, but it requires the handcontroller as a intermediary. The Aux port allows control without the handcontroller. As there are many reports of the HC being flaky at times and moreso in the cold I snagged the AUX port to avoid the HC altogether.

I didn't want to wind up with a mount I couldn't use for imaging because of an HC that went on the blink. Yes, most issues are due to people extending the cord too much, but I have personally experienced the HC becoming unresponsive at around -15C. It's going down to -18 or -20C tonight. With the Aux port accessory it won't be a concern.

Up to you. Some people are quite happy to leave the HC in the mix. I felt the small expenditure for more or less a permanent setup well waranted.

Cheers.
Chris

#10 SanDiegoPaul

SanDiegoPaul

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 30 January 2010 - 11:34 AM

Thanks guys - yesterday afternoon I messed with it & got it all working using the cable to the HC. The issue was that I had just erased & reinstalled Windows on that computer I use out at the telescope. I had installed Ascom and the Celestron Ascom drivers, but forgot about POTH.

And I also forgot that The Sky 6 Pro needs the DLL changed to get the Scope API to work. Once I re read those docs & got the software set up, The Sky operated the CGEM just fine.

It was a nice afternoon - but then the clouds rolled in again. This is killing me - I have had the moujnt for two days and haven't had it under the stars yet!

#11 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:33 PM

It was a nice afternoon - but then the clouds rolled in again. This is killing me - I have had the moujnt for two days and haven't had it under the stars yet!

It's the new mount curse. :cloudy: Similar to the new telescope curse. Just don't let your friends know you ruined the weather! :foreheadslap: :lol:

Have fun with your new mount...I love my CGEM!

#12 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:40 PM

Paul,

One thing you might want to check out for your CGEM:

http://admaccessorie...aneous_CGEM.htm

The CGEM comes with some pretty crummy knobs and bolt handles. ADM makes a nice upgrade kit with CNC aluminum replacment parts that are annodized orange to match the other trim on the mount. Sure make it look pretty...and they turn easier...especially the better saddle bolts.

#13 SanDiegoPaul

SanDiegoPaul

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:06 PM

Paul,

One thing you might want to check out for your CGEM:

http://admaccessorie...aneous_CGEM.htm

The CGEM comes with some pretty crummy knobs and bolt handles. ADM makes a nice upgrade kit with CNC aluminum replacment parts that are annodized orange to match the other trim on the mount. Sure make it look pretty...and they turn easier...especially the better saddle bolts.

Thanks Kirk but I'm kinda spent for a while. The Raptor Triplet cost me 2,000 bux a coupla months ago, and a coupla months before that it was the ST2000.

I need to lay off the astro purchases for a whiile - but thanks to you I have something on my birthday wishlist! :jump:

#14 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:37 PM

Paul,
I hear you! ;)

Good luck with the CGEM!

#15 WirelessDude

WirelessDude

Messenger

Posted 30 January 2010 - 11:43 PM

Paul --

Congrats on the CGEM! I just got mine, too, a couple weeks ago. Just tonight, I put together my optical train for the NP127is after getting my new 2" Optec IFW filter wheel. Man, the setup looks sharp! (pictures sometime tomorrow when the Sun's out...) I strived to make sure the adapters between each component provided near-zero back focus.

Next, will be setting up the wireless USB connections via the Silex USB 2.0 server.

Optical Train: Alnitak Flip-Flat -> NP127is -> FLI PDF -> Optec 2" IFW -> Optec 2" rotator -> SBIG ST-8300M
Guided by a SBIG SG-4 smart autoguider and 25mm f/4 eFinder scope

Clear skies!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics