422 replies to this topic

#401 Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ca.

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:10 PM

WOW Dan  :jawdrop:!!!!

I hope everyone revisits your whole thread to see what you've done!

Can't wait to look at and through this gem.

If you charge $.25 a photo you could pay for gas!

Seriously, this will be a great event to showcase this classic!

You might be surprised that a few will remember it's RTMC days. 

Your Maynard Clark is gorgeous and never looked better!

I can't wait; as I got a little something coming from Phoenix, even though it doesn't compare.

Bill

Edited by Bill Griffith, 17 August 2014 - 05:16 PM.

#402 tim53

tim53

Cosmos

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:06 PM

Oh shoot!  I forgot that JSP is coming up so soon.  I'm afraid I probably should skip this time.  Got to go back to Utah the following weekend to button up the house and fly the quadcopter some more.  

Would love to see your scope restoration in person, though!!

-Tim.

#403 Datapanic

Datapanic

Gemini

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:35 PM

Nice work on that math, as well as the drawing, Dan! Three cheers for Jon. :applause: :applause: :applause:

Cloudy here too :lol: .

'Frank

Thanks Frank :)  Except for remembering how to do Algebra and Trigonomentry, it has become a lot easier with the use of a calculator. 

Jon is great for making and fixing scope parts.  He tells me I'm not the only one in Tucson that comes to him for his work.  I should take a picture of his shop sometime - it's 100% old school machines and wall-to-wall shelves of stuff.  I think he kinda likes the break from motor engine work to do special projects like the parts for this scope and he really appreciates the drawings.

#404 Datapanic

Datapanic

Gemini

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:02 PM

WOW Dan  :jawdrop:!!!!

I hope everyone revisits your whole thread to see what you've done!

Can't wait to look at and through this gem.

If you charge $.25 a photo you could pay for gas!

Seriously, this will be a great event to showcase this classic!

You might be surprised that a few will remember it's RTMC days. 

Your Maynard Clark is gorgeous and never looked better!

I can't wait; as I got a little something coming from Phoenix, even though it doesn't compare.

Bill

I'll sit out a tip jar!

Looking forward to meeting you and other folks :)

#405 Datapanic

Datapanic

Gemini

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:03 PM

Oh shoot!  I forgot that JSP is coming up so soon.  I'm afraid I probably should skip this time.  Got to go back to Utah the following weekend to button up the house and fly the quadcopter some more.  

Would love to see your scope restoration in person, though!!

-Tim.

Darn!  Well, I think Mt. Pinos will be on the list of things to do for next year.  But, I'm not bringing the Horsetrail Cave!

#406 Datapanic

Datapanic

Gemini

Posted 02 September 2014 - 09:30 PM

First Light at Julian StarFest...

My wife and I arrived at the grounds of the Menghini Winery where the Julian StarFest was held on the 21st of August just after 3pm.  The skies were clear except towards the east from where we came and had driven through some serious downpours west of the Salton Sea.  After setting up our old Sunnybrook travel trailer, I went ahead and unloaded the mount, which was in the back of my F-250 with a cap and set it up.  The clouds in the east started moving in and over us!  I guess it was the First Light Curse that it eventually poured down rain towards the early evening and into the night.  I covered the mount up, which I had already leveled, with a large trash bag to protect it from the rain.  There was no observing that night, but some folks said it eventually cleared up but we were already asleep by that time, tired from the long drive. 

Friday, things were better, the weather report said all was good, so I finished setting up the scope by putting the OTA on the mount and waiting for dark.  I tried to find Jupiter during the day, but had no luck as the setting circles were not calibrated yet and my old eyes couldn't find it just by looking where it should have been.  As night fell, I decided to have Saturn as the first thing to look at.  The Casinni division as well as many of the closer moons were clearly visible and it was a very crisp view.  I wanted to use the setting circles to find other stuff, but the Dec Circle was not zeroed in and needed to be set.  That's when the Learning Phase about how this scope operates came in.  I was using Vega as a reference star to set the Dec Circle, and made small adjustments, but when I slewed the scope on a meridian flip, which is part of the process, I didn't notice that I had not tightened down the Dec Circle Pointer enough and it was moving too and messing up the readings!  So, I just spent a little time simply enjoying the views instead.  I turned out that the mount was very well aligned to NCP and tracking held for over an hour at least when viewing.

Saturday, things got busy.  It was the night that was open to the public and a lot of people came.  All along, the scope got a lot of attention, probably because it was so shiney.  A lot of folks asked if it was a Cave, and I explained to them that only the legs and the pier column were Cave and everything else was made by Maynard Clark.  Some folks even asked there was any relation to the other Clark!  A lot of folks thought it was chromed, and I explained that it's all polished aluminum.  But the most interesting comments were that it was so quiet!  Apparently so, since it was only 1 of 2 classics at the party, and everything else was GoTo with their Coffee Grinder noises of slewing from one thing to another.  This scope was easy - just grab it, find the target in the view finder and look at the object.  There was one guy going back and forth between this scope an I think a 6" AP comparing the performance.  Didn't ask why...

And on Sunday, we packed up and headed to the beaches of San Diego.  We just go back last Saturday!  I should have taken some glamor shots of the scope at Julian, but I didn't.  A lot of people did take photos though and I need to email them so they can send them to me.  The monsoon/rainy season is over here in Tucson, so I plan on setting it up this weekend and finally calibrating the Dec Circle and doing further tests with it.  Overall, I think, as well as others who looked through it at Julian, that the optics are exceptional. 

• tim53 and Bomber Bob like this

#407 BFaucett

BFaucett

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:36 AM

Dan,

I'm just a newbie here but I read every post of this entire thread.  Absolutely incredible!  Magnificent!  That was a true labor of love.  Congrats!  :waytogo: :waytogo:

I'd bet that the spirit of Maynard Clark is smiling and is very happy!

Cheers!

MOST sincerely,

-Bob F. :)

• terraclarke, khendrix2 and choran like this

#408 rnc39560

rnc39560

Surveyor 1

• Loc: MS coast

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:42 AM

I just read this in its entirety. I have to say this is the most outstanding restoration job I've ever seen! Just beautiful. 

#409 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:03 PM

Dan,

That Maynard Clark scope and your restoration are absolutely awe-inspiring! :bow:

I certainly applaud your hard work and dedication. It is VERY difficult not to feel envy of the custodian of such a fine  example of craftsmanship.

If the views are half as good as the workmanship the scope should be superb.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#410 choran

choran

Vanguard

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:21 PM

Unbelievable work!  Please immediately board a plane, fly out here, and take over my myriad simple projects which absolutely pale by comparison.  "Pale" is not the word.

How about instead:  Fade into cosmic insignificance in comparison.   That is just a great job, buddy.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#411 Datapanic

Datapanic

Gemini

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:41 PM

Thanks all - it was a fun project and worth the time.  A big thanks to Bob Burns who made the replacement secondary reinforcement ring and everyone else for their tips and ideas.  This is a really cool scope and fun to use. 

A couple weekends ago, I set it up outside to zero-in the Dec Circle and test it out.  I also took some glamor pics...

The mount:

Attached File  IMG_5985.JPG   127.42KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_5997.JPG   82.31KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_5986.jpg   163.74KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_5987.JPG   110.78KB   0 downloads

• terraclarke and rnc39560 like this

#412 Datapanic

Datapanic

Gemini

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:42 PM

The rear view (mirror):

Attached File  IMG_5984.JPG   79.39KB   0 downloads

Edited by Datapanic, 24 September 2014 - 05:43 PM.

#413 Datapanic

Datapanic

Gemini

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:49 PM

The Eyepiece End - the finder was added on, I decided to use the 7x50mm finder off my 8" f/7 Cave and an extra pair of Cave finder rings.

Attached File  IMG_5993.JPG   89.16KB   0 downloads

Attached Files

#414 Datapanic

Datapanic

Gemini

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:55 PM

Full View Poser Pics

Attached File  IMG_5980.JPG   146.6KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_5982.JPG   115.62KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_5994.JPG   135.94KB   0 downloads

#415 Datapanic

Datapanic

Gemini

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:56 PM

The day I got it.

Attached File  The Before Pic.jpg   110.67KB   0 downloads

• rnc39560 likes this

#416 Datapanic

Datapanic

Gemini

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:57 PM

And now!

Attached File  IMG_5996.JPG   150.61KB   0 downloads

• Balok, terraclarke, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#417 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators
  • Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:53 PM

Dan; I've followed this thread for what a year??? simply awesome, I'm stupefied looking at the pics.

One minor complaint, cant get all the drool off my keyboard, lol.

• rnc39560 likes this

#418 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:19 AM

That is one BEAUTIFUL scope. :waytogo:  :bow:  :cool:

Rich (RLTYS)

• Bomber Bob and rnc39560 like this

#419 Balok

Balok

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Alberta

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:16 AM

Holy folded refractor  Batman!

Dan, this is a restoration for the history books!

I knew it could be restored but my goodness you should be very proud of your accomplishments with this one.

It is simply stunning - reminds me of a mint 67 Shelby or something like that - in a class of its own.

Congratulations - three cheers and my hat goes off to you.

Sincerely,

Balok

Edited by Balok, 25 September 2014 - 03:58 PM.

• rnc39560 likes this

#420 tim53

tim53

Cosmos

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 25 September 2014 - 10:27 AM

But the most interesting comments were that it was so quiet!  Apparently so, since it was only 1 of 2 classics at the party, and everything else was GoTo with their Coffee Grinder noises of slewing from one thing to another.  

And the MC will still be running quietly after all those modern thermoplastic gizmoids have ground their teeth down into plastic dust!

-Tim.

• rnc39560 likes this

#421 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 25 September 2014 - 01:27 PM

Wow! Double Wow!!, no, Triple Wow!!! Dan, that is simply and utterly AMAZING!!!! 

• rnc39560 likes this

#422 nightpilot

nightpilot

Vostok 1

• Loc: Southern Suburbs, Chicago

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:02 PM

Tremendous ...

Bob

#423 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Vanguard

• Loc: The Deep South, USA

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:11 PM

Dan, she's a jaw-dropper!  If I had her, she'd have to be on display in the living room, with her own spotlight!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics