A Mystery Scope!

• Please log in to reply
406 replies to this topic

#26 Datapanic

Datapanic

Gemini

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 29 January 2010 - 03:48 PM

Here is how the mirror cell attaches to the tube. The mirror and floats are not mounted in the cell.

Attached Files

#27 clintwhitman

clintwhitman

Caveman

• Loc: CALI SoEasyACavemanCanSlewIt

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:22 PM

Hey Dan,,,, My Guess is what you found is a master piece ATM telescope WOW!!! This scope could be unbelievable wonderful,,,,, You just won the Caveman award!! This is a hybrid with a bunch of really well made parts WOW. I don’t recognize any elements but the legs on the pier, the rest are either from the more obscure makers like Scopetronics or home built by a guy like Bob Burns.... Really cool find. My second favorite this year so far!!!! Congratulations and Kudos to you I hope you have the resources to put her where she belongs..... The mirror has the color and look of a Cave mirror, Maybe Beck or Alika made it on the side for a guy named Clark :foreheadslap: :jump: :jump: Man look at the iluminated maginfiers on the setting circles Man thats cool,,,,, Darn aircraft mechanics!!!!

#28 Datapanic

Datapanic

Gemini

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:52 PM

Woot! I got a Caveman award!!!

I kinda feel like I've seen this scope before, maybe in an old Sky & Telescope Gleanings for ATM's article. The focuser looks familiar somehow. I hope somebody here can recognize it.

Not that I'm obsessed with knobs, but every single knob from the legs to mount to the tube and focuser match. I count 23 of them - there should be 25 but the levels are missing two.

I can rebuild it :)

The mirror has beveled edges on the top and bottom as well as the fine ground underside that sure does make it look like a Cave mirror, less any side markings.

#29 Datapanic

Datapanic

Gemini

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:54 PM

Here is the Before Picture...

Attached Files

#30 tim53

tim53

Cosmos

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:32 PM

I *LIKE* it!

#31 actionhac

actionhac

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 29 January 2010 - 06:41 PM

That's one fine scope. I agree with Clint, ATM from an Aircraft machine shop man. Too big for a "lunch box special" though.

Perfect example of someone just not satisfied with what money can buy.

Robert

#32 reddog15

reddog15

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Wyoming

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:16 PM

Dang Dan you got the Cave man swinging his club :bow: Real nice dude, real nice :smash: :smash: :waytogo:

#33 Datapanic

Datapanic

Gemini

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:25 PM

That's one fine scope. I agree with Clint, ATM from an Aircraft machine shop man. Too big for a "lunch box special" though.

Perfect example of someone just not satisfied with what money can buy.

Robert

It may be, I found aircraft spec fasteners that hold the spacer bars on the rotating rings.

Attached Files

#34 actionhac

actionhac

Skylab

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:23 PM

When I first saw your post I did a quick search and found Schaefer, I have a link in my post "Schaefer Telescopes" I had never seen such workmanship.

Yours does have a close resemblance but yours lacks castings, except for the focuser, possibly the cell, the saddle and the rotating rings.

I still wonder if it could be a 1970's Schaefer. By this time they were using CNC machines like today. This actually is more economical than the old casting process.

Overall I think it's just to good to be a commercial scope, unless a very low production custom.

Robert

#35 Datapanic

Datapanic

Gemini

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:47 PM

I looked at the Schaefer Telescopes link as well and although it could be one, I don't think it is unless it was a special build. The base of the Schaefer mounts where the RA shaft attaches to the head of the mount is welded and has a strength member on either side while the head on this one seems to be bolted on from underneath and there is no strength member. The mount is definitely sturdy!

Edit to add: I just wonder what the heck was on that label!

Attached Files

#36 Datapanic

Datapanic

Gemini

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:51 PM

Even the ring that mounts the focuser to its base and the ring that goes over the mirror have the crosshatch cuts in them just like the knobs.

Attached Files

#37 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:20 PM

Here's a wild guess....Is the plate inside the mirror box behind the felt? :confused:Mike

#38 Datapanic

Datapanic

Gemini

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:55 PM

Mike, I looked all over and so far the only thing is "Clark" written on the back of the mirror. The mount and tube were in the back of an old Ford pickup for I don't know how long with a bunch of other stuff covered with a tarp and under a carport, so maybe it and the two missing leveling knobs are still there. I asked the seller to please take a look, maybe it's still there. Not knowing who made it or anything about it really drives me nuts and I will do my best to get all the history I can about it.

From the short time I talked with the seller, the picture I get is that the person who made/owned this telescope passed away, and the seller is a friend of the widow and helped to sell the telescope since it was not being used anymore. The seller also indicated that a friend of the person who made/owned this scope might be upset if it were sold. I reassured the seller that this telescope will be brought back to its original condition and that it will be chronicled here, of course :)

#39 actionhac

actionhac

Skylab

Posted 30 January 2010 - 12:37 AM

One thing you could try is see if Morvac Optical Coating is still in around and have them check the records for Clark.

Also remove the secondary mirror to see if anything on the back of it.

Robert

#40 Datapanic

Datapanic

Gemini

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:20 PM

It looks like Morvac Optical Coating is not in business anymore. I'll take a look at the secondary but if anything, it will say "Clark" on it :) The fasteners on the secondary housing are rusted and I want to be careful taking it apart.

I already finished taking the mount apart. Interesting notes with photo goodness later today! Does Arizona have Black Widows?

#41 rfic1

rfic1

Messenger

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:03 PM

Perhaps the original owner ground and figured the mirror himself. He obviously was a skilled machinist and possible did the mirror as well..I suspect at some point one of the owners last name was Clark. Perhaps it was labeled on the mirror when it was sent for coating for for identification reasons. Do you think those are the original coatings?

#42 Datapanic

Datapanic

Gemini

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:28 PM

I haven't found out any more information, but hopefully will later next week. If the mirror is from the same time as the motors (64/65) then I don't think those are the original coatings, but the box for the mirror is virtually air tight so it could be. :question:

#43 desertrefugee

desertrefugee

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:29 PM

Arizona is loaded with Black Widows.

Ask me how I know.

(I'd much rather see your pictures, though).

#44 reddog15

reddog15

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Wyoming

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:30 PM

Waiting on the pics Black widows like it dark and moist I believe ;)

#45 Datapanic

Datapanic

Gemini

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:39 PM

I started on the mount this morning. First to do is take off the motors and all the wiring. After I removed the nice illuminated Dec circle light housing, I found what was in store for me...

Attached Files

#46 tim53

tim53

Cosmos

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:42 PM

Protein drive!

#47 Datapanic

Datapanic

Gemini

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:44 PM

Rust like this just makes me want to ask why, why, why!? This is worse than what was on the Cave 8" Model B's Dec shaft.

Attached Files

#48 akman1955

akman1955

Gemini

• Loc: Alaska, USA

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:45 PM

:)sandblast..that will take care of it..john

#49 Datapanic

Datapanic

Gemini

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:49 PM

This nice outafocus shot is of the Dec worm gear. There is a shim on the block (seen in line with the Dec circle indexes) that prevents it from contacting the rest of the gear assembly and the knob is used for slow motion instead. The worm gear is obviously steel, but the gears are brass and the coupler for the knob is rusted out steel. When it comes time to service this area, maybe I can figure out how it should work.

Attached Files

#50 Datapanic

Datapanic

Gemini

Posted 30 January 2010 - 05:50 PM

:)sandblast..that will take care of it..john

I think so - there's just too much rust there to sand it off. The Cave Legs could use a sand blasting as well.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics