• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Richard Scott

Richard Scott

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tampa FL

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:16 PM

While surfing the Atlas/EG6 Yahoo group, I ran across a photo of what the guy called a mount shim. It was a donut shaped piece of what I took to be blue/green plastic of some sort. And it was placed on top of the tripod’s mounting plate directly between it and the mount head itself. Its purpose was to defeat the inherent friction between those two painted surfaces. And I was thrown; I had never seen one before. Although I had often thought that something like that could only help setting alt/az on a fully loaded and tightened down mount/scope rig.

So I asked if anyone knew any more about it, and another guy suggested I just buy a sheet of UHMW and cut to fit the plate. So I just ordered a .125” x 12” x 12”piece of sheet stock. When I get it, and get it cut down and installed I will post my results.

I think it’s gonna work
Clear Skies to all
Richard

#2 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Under the clouds!

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:17 PM

Ummm... interesting... I added a very light thin layer of synthetic grease on my NEQ6 but I never really liked the idea of adding grease where the mount's head sit. I'm very curious to see you're results.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics