• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 omahaastro

omahaastro

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Omaha, NE

Posted 30 January 2010 - 10:15 PM

I installed EQMOD ages ago just to try it out, but abandoned it since I don't use goto/had no astrophotography demands... it did work great at the time. Now I want to use it... installed the latest version on a cool net book I stole from my wife... it's communicating with the mount... I have Cartes du Ciel installed to use with it.

But I'm running into a 'stupid user' problem. For the life of me, I can't find the 3-star alignment function on the EQMOD app dialog. I see the Alignment/Sync section... but can't find anything to initiate the actual alignment (which I recall would have me select stars over in Cartes du Ciel). Anyone know what the heck am I doing wrong?? I'm sensing that the EQMOD app has changed slightly since I used it a couple of years ago. I could have swore there was this n-star alignment function plainly visible at that time.

Thanks in advance for any help !

#2 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Posted 31 January 2010 - 01:30 AM

The method currently used by most eqmod users is to use your planetarium and it's sync function to add goto calibration stars into eqmod. I will try to describe the process:

1. Connect your planetarium to eqmod. Your scope should be at it's home position (OTA pointing to NCP and counterweights shaft pointing down).
2. Goto a star from your planetarium.
3. Center the star using eqmod's controls or synscan hand controller's buttons (if you use pc direct mode and have synscan 3.25 or later).
4. When star is centered issue sync command from your planetarium and the star will automatically add to the eqmod's callibration stars list.
5. do this for at least 2 more stars. You can keep adding stars if you want to improve further the goto accuracy but i find that 3 stars is good enough.

#3 omahaastro

omahaastro

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Omaha, NE

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:13 AM

Okay... I've got it. In the past, I could have swore there was an EQMOD function which sort of walked you through it.

Thanks!

#4 neptun2

neptun2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bulgaria

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:36 AM

Eqmod has 2 ways to add stars for calibration. I told you the easier way which most people use. Here is a link with more detailed explanation:
http://www.welshdrag...gnment_overview

#5 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:44 AM

Over the last year or so, the functionality was modified such that the alignment dialog is not the first choice for alignment. neptun2 gave a good link to the updated documentation.

I have noticed, however, that for some planetarium programs, Stellarium in particular, if you execute your GOTO for the alignment star using EQTOUR (i.e. easier to have a canned list of year round stars rather than 15 or 20 million in the planetarium!), the sync function through the planetarium doesn't "take"; the GOTO needs to be initiated through Stellarium for it to then sync on the star. Earth Centered Universe does not behave this way; an EQTOUR selection and GOTO will result it perfect willingness of ECU to process the sync.

Bottom line, though, is that the old dialog process is relegated to a secondary process; straight through the planetarium program is now the default choice for performing the alignment.

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:11 PM

If you haven't used it in a while, you might wanna download the latest version of EQMOD.

Anyhoo, if you want to use the dialog based alignment, which is what I like to do:

Expand EQMOD with "setup." In the alignment box, select "dialog based" from the drop-down menu. Then, just click "add points" and that friendly window will pop up.

Remember, you do not have to stop at 3 stars; 3 on each side of the meridian is prob'ly optimum.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics