• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 phxbird

phxbird

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico, USA

Posted 31 January 2010 - 12:14 AM

Here is a sketch done with a 60mm Meade refractor. It is a 700 mm focal length scope with a hybrid diagonal. The eyepiece was the supplied 1.25", 4mm huygens at 178 power. The seeing conditions were poor due to lfast moving high clouds.
The sketch was made indoors. I did not try and identify anything until after I sketched it out. I was shocked to note that the smudge of dark I saw on the face was actually Mare Acidalum, at least according to Mars Previewer II.
Over all I am kind of impressed with this little scope. It did an amazing job under terrible conditions!

Attached Files

#2 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 31 January 2010 - 01:04 AM

Paul,

An excellent observation of Mars through a small refractor. It is amazing what one can see over Mars when the apparent diameter is over ten arc-seconds. I adjusted your image and placed it within a dark background. I hope that you like it. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

Attached Files

#3 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:16 AM

Excellent capture of Mars as seen through the eyepiece. I love the detail that just seems to be coming through the more I look at it. Very realistic.

#4 NUNKY

NUNKY

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:47 AM

Sympa d'observer avec des petits instruments ! ;)
Christian

#5 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:21 AM

Nicely done! I tried to view Mars through my Meade ETX-70. At x87 I could by moments see the polecap, but no albedo-differences. At x150 the immage was terrible. So you did a good job!

#6 phxbird

phxbird

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:56 AM

Thanks Carlos! Very nice enhancement. So far I have been pretty old school when it comes to drawing! I had a 14 hour work day in front of me today so I did not even take time to scan my drawing but just snapped it with a camera. Some of these sketches that I am doing will enventually go into a book on 60mm refractors that I am working on so the sketches will have to be cleaned up and enhanced to be usable. Thanks again, it is much appreciated!
By the way I used a watercolor sketch book and watercolor pencils for the sketch.

#7 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:38 AM

Paul,

This is a superb Mars sketch. The color and albedo features are remarkable for a 60mm scope. Talk about doing more with less, this is it. :) :bow: :cool: :rainbow:

Frank :)

#8 joelimite

joelimite

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Colorado Springs, CO

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:01 PM

Great sketch, phxbird! I just order a 60mm Tasco off the Cloudy Nights classifieds and your sketch gives me a sense of what I'm in for.

#9 phxbird

phxbird

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:58 PM

I have found the optics on the Meade 60mm to be excellent. No discernible CA and very crisp images. What is not as good is the mounting and focuser. My first sketches will be from the stock scope and then I will begin to modify it into a super 60!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics