• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Under the clouds!

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:26 PM

I just got my new SkyWatcher NEQ6 Pro mount and I’m very disappointed with the rattling noise it makes when starting and stopping slews. This occurs on both the RA and DEC axis. Although the mount seems to perform well, the noise is very annoying.

My mount produces the exact same rattling noise this guy got. http://deepspaceplace.com/eq6.php

I’m temped to open this puppy and give a nice taste of synthetic lithium grease. Has anyone of you performed this job? If yes was it beneficial and did it really got rid of the annoying rattling noise.

#2 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:39 PM

This is most likely the normal startup and slow down of the steppers. Lithium grease won't do anything for it. Some folks who find it disturbing adjust the backlash and worm mesh of the gear train, where the rattle, although likely harmless, is accentuated.

The EQ6 Yahoo! group has several threads and guides on the tuneup, and there are several folks hanging out here that also can provide links to the process. Since the steppers in the Synta mounts are single speed (maximum) on gotos, some do make the noise on rampup to full speed and slow down. For me it's not nearly as noisy as a certain other manufacturer's coffee grinders.

#3 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 31 January 2010 - 09:41 PM

By the way, in the last couple of years in this forum there have been a couple of warnings against the lithium grease due to breakdown over time, causing corrosion. Most of the overhaulers of the EQ6/NEQ6/HEQ5 mounts use Superlube.

#4 groz

groz

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Campbell River, BC

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:07 AM

Both the EQ6 and the HEQ5 have no rattling or funny startup noises here. When they start a slew, just hear the motors winding up a bit, but definitely no rattle, and if more than about 10 feet from the mount, cant hear anything at all.

Compared to our EQ3, it's a world of difference. The eq3 has that same coffee grinder running sound as the cg5 type mounts.

#5 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:26 AM

Thanks groz, but mine does produce a rattling noise at start/stop slews. Any ideas?

#6 Coromandel

Coromandel

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:15 AM

This question comes up every time someone buys an EQ6 or Atlas and powers it up for the first time. I think I've seen it posted a hundred times.

The sound is quite normal. It's not caused by anything rattling around loose, or metal grinding, or anything scary like that. It's just stepper motor noise.

If you select the slower slew rates the sound isn't there, but it would be if there was anything wrong with the mount. When it is tracking it's the quietest mount around other than the Taks.

There are a LOT of these mounts out there and when you go to star parties you will hear all of the other EQ6 or Atlas mounts making the same sound.

So relax!

:grin:

#7 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:23 AM

While it is "normal", some users choose to adjust it out although it can be a big pain to perform the microadjustments on the gear train.

If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

#8 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:23 AM

Okay, thanks for input.

If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

That certainly puts a twist on "If is ain't broke, don't fix it" :tonofbricks:

#9 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:27 PM

I have noticed that the beginning of slew and end of slew gravelly growl is a bit more pronounced with a weak power supply. You might want to try a beefier battery or AC to reduce the phenomenon somewhat.

Cheers,

Jim

#10 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:49 PM

I have noticed that the beginning of slew and end of slew gravelly growl is a bit more pronounced with a weak power supply. You might want to try a beefier battery or AC to reduce the phenomenon somewhat.

Thanks Jim, I'm using an AC power adapter so the lack a power delivered to the mount is not an issue for me.

#11 Skylook123

Skylook123

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:17 PM

Bottom line, I guess, is that it should be OK as is, but others have been successful at making it quieter, with the possibility that something could go wrong in the process. Not too tough, not terribly easy, each axis adjustment is hard to nail down in most cases since too tight will cause more problems than kind of loose. Lots of hints around on how to do it; if you try, plan on a couple of hours and it might only take 30 minutes. Plan on 30 minutes and you'll be at it for days.

Me, I have 50% hearing loss in each ear, so I don't hear hardly a thing from my Atlas. No problem hearing certain other manufacturers' equipment at star parties, though.

#12 rapdas

rapdas

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Columbus, OH

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:56 AM

I have experienced the same and was so worried that I got a faulty mount. For me, it is very pronounced at 9X rate. At lower rates, not so much. God, that's a relief to know it aint broke.

#13 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:09 AM

I just got my new SkyWatcher NEQ6 Pro mount and I’m very disappointed with the rattling noise it makes when starting and stopping slews. This occurs on both the RA and DEC axis. Although the mount seems to perform well, the noise is very annoying.

Grease will do no good. This noise is common to all EQ-6 Synscans, and adding grease will not dispel it. Nothing's wrong with your mount; you just have to learn to ignore it...or try to adjust the gear lash to minimize it--which ain't easy, and often causes more harm than good. The mount is pretty quiet, all in all.

#14 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:56 AM

Thanks uncle Rod. The rattling noise only manifests itself during ramp-up and slow downs at slew rate 6 and above. During slewing, once it reaches it slewing speed, it is pretty quiet. During tracking I hardly notice any sound. In time I will get use to it, I know now that this is a just how the mount is.

#15 jmasin

jmasin

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Murphy, TX (DFW)

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:35 PM

My EQ6 makes a "marbles in a can" sound when starting up long slews. it tracks and guides very well otherwise.

My advice? Wear earplugs :lol: :)

j/k, but I think it is probably fine.

#16 Igor

Igor

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Croatia

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:38 AM

Same here with brand new HEQ5 SynTrek (white one)

#17 Mert

Mert

Skylab

• Loc: Spain, Pamplona

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:55 PM

My experience with this rattling noise was that is
mainly was caused by the transfer gear beeing a bit
loose, wobbly or with runout.
Adjusting the play it had on the axis where it originally
ran on made the noise almost disapear.
Nowadays this gear runs on a bearing and the noise is
nearly gone!
If tracking is good, just ignore it!
FWIW here a pic of a 47 tooth transfer gear running
on a bearing, I had to change the mounting plate
as well.

Attached Files

#18 supercoolone

supercoolone

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:33 PM

That slight r-r-r sound on ramp up and ramp down is normal. My EQ-G tracks as well as my abilities - and wood deck - allow. You should expect to use an autoguider.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics