Mars Observation (January 29, 2010)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Pembroke Pines, Broward County, Florida

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:24 PM

I made an observation of Mars on January 29, 2010 under good to very good seeing conditions (7-8/10) . The amount of detail visible over the regions between Chyrse/Xanthe (on the preceding (evening) limb) and Elysium (on the following (morning) limb) was impressive. Albedo features over the Tharsis region, during moments of very steady seeing, exhibited a complex mottling that was difficult to render. I welcome any comments on my observations.

Date (U.T.): January 29, 2010
Time (U.T.): 05:30-06:30
CM (Degrees West): 127.4*-142.0*
Ls: 044.4* (Mid-Northern Spring/Southern Autumn)
De: 014.6*, Ds: 17.1*, p 100%, 14.1”
Instrument: 9-inch (23-cm) F/13.5 Maksutov-Cassegrain
Magnification: 295x and 388x
Filters (Wratten): 30 (Magenta) and 80 (Blue)
Seeing (1-10): 7-8, Antoniadi (I-V): II
Transparency (1-6): 5

Notes:
05:45 U.T. (CM 131.0*W, Wratten 30 (Magenta)): The North Polar Cap (NPC) appears brilliant (10/10) with a dark (3/10) collar comprised of Mare Boreum. Mare Sirenum appears dark to dusky (3-4/10) over the southern limb with dull (5/10) projections from it’s northern border connecting to “Valhalla” (4-5/10). Tharsis appears dusky to shaded (4-6/10) and mottled over the central meridian (CM). Nix Olympica appears as a bright to very bright (7-8/10) orographic cloud (Mountain-associated) is visible following the CM over the Tharsis region (a water-ice cloud over the flanks of Olympus Mons). Mare Acidalium appears dark to dusky (3-4/10) over the North-preceding (Np) limb with a dusky to dull (4-5/10) Nilokeras connecting to a dusky (4/10) Lunae Lacus. Chryse-Xanthe appears very to extremely bright (8-9/10) over the preceding (morning) limb. Ganges appears as a dull (5/10) band extending between Lunae Lacus and Aurorae Sinus (3-4/10). Agathodaemon (Coprates) appears a thin, dark to dusky (3-4/10) projection extending from the following border of Aurorae Sinus. Tithonius Lacus appears a dusky (4/10) “knob” at the following end of Agathodaemon. Mare Erythraeum appears dusky to dull (4-5/10) and mottled and bright to very bright (7-8/10) haze over it on the preceding limb. Solis Lacus appears dark to dusky (3-4/10) and “fan-shaped” towards the South-preceding (Sp) limb. Aonius Sinus appears as a dark (3/10) wedge towards the southern limb. Trivium Charontis and the Propontis Complex appear as dark to dusky (3-4/10) condensations towards the following (morning) limb. Elysium appears bright to very bright (7-8/10) towards the following limb. Memnonia and Zephyria appear bright (7/10) without any detail visible within. The evening limb haze (ELH), southern limb haze (SLH), and morning limb haze (MLH) appear very to extremely bright (8-9/10).

A digital image produced using Photoshop CS3.

Carlos

Attached Files

#2 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:25 PM

06:15 U.T. (CM 138.3*W, Wratten 80 (Blue)): The North Polar Cap (NPC) appears brilliant (10/10). A bright to very bright (7-8/10) cloud is visible over Tempe. A very to extremely bright (8-9/10) cloud is visible over Chryse-Xanthe. Nix Olympica appears a bright to very bright (7-8/10) cloud following the CM. A bright to very bright (7-8/10) cloud is visible over Elysium. The preceding (evening) limb , southern limb, and following (morning) limbs appear very to extremely bright (8-9/10).

Carlos

Attached Files

#3 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:27 PM

A labeled image of my magenta (Wratten 30) filter. I hope that this helps in identifying the albedo features visible.

The best of luck in your own observations of Mars.

Carlos

Attached Files

#4 mathteacher

mathteacher

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Oakland, CA

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:51 PM

Carlos, excellent work as always. Are you making pencil sketches and notes at the scope, then rendering later on the computer, or do you have an observatory and computer next to the scope?

#5 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:17 PM

Breathtaking all those sketches of Mars!

#6 Sol Robbins

Sol Robbins

Vanguard

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:41 PM

Exemplary sketched observation!

#7 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:07 PM

great sketch of mars, i saw a similar less detailed view last night with a brillant NPC and a dark collar which was the darkest albedo feature on the planet, the features in the southern hemisphere were much lighter, it was just too cold for me to sketch,thanks again for keeping us northern climes updated on this opposition season.

#8 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:10 PM

Carlos,

Much, much detail and the the overall work is an example to us all what years of careful work and dedication can achieve. You must be pretty happy with your sketching and eyepiece views of Mars this time around. I sure would love to hear what anyone of those famous 19th century Mars recorders would say about your work.
It's unforgettable for certain. :bow: :cool: :rainbow:

Frank :)

#9 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 February 2010 - 05:42 AM

Thank you all for the very kind compliments on my latest observations of Mars. This observation had to be one of the finest observations I have had of Mars in some time. The details were difficult to render at times due to the complexity of the different regions observed.

I used to make pencil (graphite) sketches in the past which were then scanned and adjusted, if needed. I now make digital renderings as I am observing. I am observing in front of my house and I come in and record what I see. It is a constant shift between the telescope and my computer to ensure that I have recorded the features accurately but it is well worth it.

Frank- Thank you for the mere comparison of my observations to those made by the great planetary observers of the nineteenth century. There were many talented astronomers of that time such Antoniadi, Barnard, Lowell, etc. I am very happy with my digital observations at this time. I feel that they accurately depict what I am observing at the eyepiece.

The best of luck in your own observations of Mars.

Carlos

#10 mikesemmler

mikesemmler

Messenger

• -----

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:17 AM

great scetch - great scope :bow: :bow: :bow:

Michael

#11 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:53 AM

Mike,

Thank you for the complimemt on my latest Mars observations. I wish you the best of luck in your own observations of Mars.

Carlos

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics