CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Which?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 bkushner

bkushner

Surveyor 1

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:32 PM

Celestron CGEM Mount
Orion Atlas

#2 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:22 PM

Capacity wise, they're the same. The Celestron has a better controller. However, you can control the Atlas with EQMOD. The Atlas is a proven performer since it's been around so long.

So...if you want to use the hand controller exclusively, I'd go with the Celestron. If you want to control it with a laptop, I'd go with the Atlas and EQMOD.

David

#3 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:56 PM

Take a look at this thread, more particularly John J. analysis and torque analysis half way down the conversation. I just bought the NEQ6 (Atlas twin) 2 weeks ago , EQMOD made it a easy choice for me.

#4 therocksal

therocksal

Viking 1

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:25 AM

eqmod!!!!

#5 vinnie

vinnie

Minister of Misinformation . . . Oh Yes

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:49 AM

I have one of the first, if not the first EQ6 (Atlas) mounts ever brought into Aus. It was a special import, not off the shelf. GoTo wasn't available then (well at least no GoTo EQ6) but it has subsequently been upgraded.

Its carried everything from a 10" Newt down to an 80mm refractor, Side by sides, piggybacks, CW's completely covering the entire CW shaft. No "Coffee grinder" noise. Just recently there's a bit of slop in the Dec axis. I keep telling myself that its time to either strip it down and refurbish or move on, but the bugger keeps on going.

Re the CGEM I can't say. Never used one. I can say that you can load up an EQ6 to maybe 30 to 40 lbs for visual and expect to get at least 10 years without any maintenance at all.

#6 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:10 PM

Capacity wise, they're the same. The Celestron has a better controller. However, you can control the Atlas with EQMOD. The Atlas is a proven performer since it's been around so long.

So...if you want to use the hand controller exclusively, I'd go with the Celestron. If you want to control it with a laptop, I'd go with the Atlas and EQMOD.

David

Don't forget that Celestron gives you their NeXRemote software with the CGEM. I have played with it on a laptop indoors and will most likely not start using it steadily until I have mastered the CGEM using just the hand controller. One thing I like is that it talks to you. I have never used EQMOD, but I have read good things about it.

I found this review of the Atlas to be useful link.

I went CGEM because of the discount you get when buying an EdgeHD with the CGEM...otherwise I was serioulsy considering the Atlas. Someday though, I want a Losmandy HGM Titan! :grin:

#7 EricJD

EricJD

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:40 PM

Six weeks ago I switched from an LXD75 to a used Atlas. I downloaded EQMOD and Stellarium and learned how to use both. I was amazed, literally. The fit, finish, durability, spot on go to's, ease of alignment and tracking accuracy were all a dream. I went from an hour setup and still throwing away most of my subs to half an hour and keeping them all.

Can't speak to the CGEM.

#8 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Viking 1

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:01 AM

Did the same thing..upgraded from an LXD55 to an EQ-G..still sitting in the living room, hooked up to the 'puter..playing with it..too cloudy/rainy to move it to the Observ. Will get around to it, but for now, kinda fun just to play, goof off, pretend..at least it's "comfy and warm".

#9 m4ilm4n

m4ilm4n

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 February 2010 - 05:58 AM

I went through the same questions just last month looking to supplant my old SVP. The CGEM looks really solid, but EQMOD sold me on a Atlas. Once I'd hooked it up with Stellarium I was convinced it was the right choice for me.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics