Celestron CGEM Mount
Orion Atlas

#2 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:22 PM

Capacity wise, they're the same. The Celestron has a better controller. However, you can control the Atlas with EQMOD. The Atlas is a proven performer since it's been around so long.

So...if you want to use the hand controller exclusively, I'd go with the Celestron. If you want to control it with a laptop, I'd go with the Atlas and EQMOD.

David

#3 guyroch

guyroch

Vendor (BackyardEOS)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Under the clouds!

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:56 PM

Take a look at this thread, more particularly John J. analysis and torque analysis half way down the conversation. I just bought the NEQ6 (Atlas twin) 2 weeks ago , EQMOD made it a easy choice for me.

#4 therocksal

therocksal

Viking 1

• Loc: Everett, WA

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:25 AM

eqmod!!!!

#5 vinnie

vinnie

Minister of Misinformation . . . Oh Yes

• Loc: Queensland, Australia

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:49 AM

I have one of the first, if not the first EQ6 (Atlas) mounts ever brought into Aus. It was a special import, not off the shelf. GoTo wasn't available then (well at least no GoTo EQ6) but it has subsequently been upgraded.

Its carried everything from a 10" Newt down to an 80mm refractor, Side by sides, piggybacks, CW's completely covering the entire CW shaft. No "Coffee grinder" noise. Just recently there's a bit of slop in the Dec axis. I keep telling myself that its time to either strip it down and refurbish or move on, but the bugger keeps on going.

Re the CGEM I can't say. Never used one. I can say that you can load up an EQ6 to maybe 30 to 40 lbs for visual and expect to get at least 10 years without any maintenance at all.

#6 nemo129

nemo129

Gemini

• Loc: WMass

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:10 PM

Capacity wise, they're the same. The Celestron has a better controller. However, you can control the Atlas with EQMOD. The Atlas is a proven performer since it's been around so long.

So...if you want to use the hand controller exclusively, I'd go with the Celestron. If you want to control it with a laptop, I'd go with the Atlas and EQMOD.

David

Don't forget that Celestron gives you their NeXRemote software with the CGEM. I have played with it on a laptop indoors and will most likely not start using it steadily until I have mastered the CGEM using just the hand controller. One thing I like is that it talks to you. I have never used EQMOD, but I have read good things about it.

I found this review of the Atlas to be useful link.

I went CGEM because of the discount you get when buying an EdgeHD with the CGEM...otherwise I was serioulsy considering the Atlas. Someday though, I want a Losmandy HGM Titan! :grin:

#7 EricJD

EricJD

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Chesapeake VA

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:40 PM

Six weeks ago I switched from an LXD75 to a used Atlas. I downloaded EQMOD and Stellarium and learned how to use both. I was amazed, literally. The fit, finish, durability, spot on go to's, ease of alignment and tracking accuracy were all a dream. I went from an hour setup and still throwing away most of my subs to half an hour and keeping them all.

Can't speak to the CGEM.

#8 SKYGZR

SKYGZR

Viking 1

• Loc: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:01 AM

Did the same thing..upgraded from an LXD55 to an EQ-G..still sitting in the living room, hooked up to the 'puter..playing with it..too cloudy/rainy to move it to the Observ. Will get around to it, but for now, kinda fun just to play, goof off, pretend..at least it's "comfy and warm".

#9 m4ilm4n

m4ilm4n

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: shadows of the Blue Ridge

Posted 03 February 2010 - 05:58 AM

I went through the same questions just last month looking to supplant my old SVP. The CGEM looks really solid, but EQMOD sold me on a Atlas. Once I'd hooked it up with Stellarium I was convinced it was the right choice for me.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics