• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rg55

rg55

Apollo

• Loc: western US

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:13 PM

Hi folks,

I'm looking for information on why my beloved CG-5/C8 would not power up last night. It was clear and great seeing, Mars was high in the East, and...the mount was dead. No imaging that night. I checked the power supply and it had the little green light on, but the HC display would not light up and there was no other sign of power. Is there information available for troubleshooting?

Thanks for any help! Would like to give Mars another go if I can.

Richard

#2 Aaron Turner

Aaron Turner

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Southbury, CT

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:38 PM

You say the light on the power supply was on, but what about the light on the mount? I would suspect either the cable/connector from the power supply to the mount, or the switch on the mount. I've heard elsewhere that the switch can become unreliable over time (contacts wear off).

#3 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:05 PM

Yes, the power switch is a frequent point of failure. Exercising it 5 or 10 times (with NO power connected!) will usually clean it sufficiently for a temporary fix.

#4 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:31 AM

And if doing what John suggests does work and the mount powers up don't use the switch again. Turn it off and on by either using the plug at the scope or at the battery or AC outlet.

There have also been a few threads here (Mounts, or the Nexstar forums) about replacing that power switch.

#5 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MA

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:16 PM

If it is the switch, it's easy enough to open the electronics enclosure and solder a jumper across the switch so that it's permanently on. Turn the mount off with a switch on the power supply, in the power cord, or by disconnecting it. You can also replace the switch with a new better one if you're feeling frisky.

#6 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 03 February 2010 - 04:13 PM

I was having trouble with my CG5, it kept loseing power in the middle of a session. The problem was the little pin in the hole in the mount that the power supply plugs into. The pin is split in two and the if there is no gap between them you don't get a good contact. I pried the two parts of the plug apart just a hair with a very fine knife and the problem was solved. David

#7 bebert

bebert

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Louisiana

Posted 03 February 2010 - 04:37 PM

Yes...it's most likely the switch. Been victimized myself a few times. It's now one of the first things I test before I get too far along setting up.

#8 rg55

rg55

Apollo

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:42 PM

Aaron,

I didn't see a light on the mount or on the HC. It's beginning to sound like the switch is the place to start.
:(

#9 rg55

rg55

Apollo

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:43 PM

Thanks, John, I'll certainly try it! If I can just get through one good long clear night with Mars...

#10 rg55

rg55

Apollo

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:46 PM

Luigi, it just so happens that I have a brother who has been an electrician...this sounds like a possibility. Frankly, I wish there was a better power supply set up with this mount, but I guess that's what imagination and inventiveness is all about.

#11 rg55

rg55

Apollo

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:48 PM

David,

If I understand you correctly, I should first look into the hole/receptacle in the mount to see if there is a pin, and if it is split or not?

Thanks,

Richard

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics