Photo

Mars obs February 3rd, 20h UT

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:57 PM

Dear observers,

I had again the chance to see Mars at a different CM (296). Syrtis maior was very prominent, I saw some detail in my 6 inch Mak at 188x.
The NPC has shrunk remarkabely since my first observation 4 weeks ago.

Attached Files

#2 CarlosEH

CarlosEH

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 February 2010 - 05:05 PM

Uwe,

An excellent observation of Mars. Syrtis Major is prominent on the central meridian (CM). I like the colors that you have recorded over the planet. I have labelled the major albedo features. Thank you for sharing it with us all.

Carlos

Attached Files

#3 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:43 PM

Uwe,

Well done sketch--you saw some nice variations in the desert regions of Mars. I usually have difficulty detecting the subtle differences there, although I know they exist.

The North Polar Cap looked a lot smaller to me too, when I observed it on the 2nd--still very bright and noticeable though, as you show in your sketch.

#4 dweller25

dweller25

Apollo

• -----

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:55 AM

Very nice observation Uwe, I have clouds so I will enjoy your drawing.

#5 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:37 AM

Uwe

Excellent observation of Mars and finely rendered sketch showing much in detail and color. :bow: :bow: :bow:

You have inspired me that you mentioned seeing some details in a 6 inch Mak. Now I wonder if my Celestron Nexstar 5i may perform better on Mars than my 10 inch Dobsonian.

All I need now is a break from these constant clouds and rain again. :cloudy: :cloudy: :tonofbricks: :question:

Thanks for posting and sharing this,

Mark
www.markseibold.com
My CN Gallery

“My mission responsibilities range over the entire operartion of the ship so I am constantly occupied; I’m putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any concious entity could ever hope to do.”

-The HAL Computer answering the journalist reporters question in 2001: A Space Odyssey c1968

#6 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:51 AM

Uwe,

Another wonderful, colorful rendering of Mars.
I'm getting all my Mars observings this way through the eyes of all the fine sketchers here like yourself. :bow: :rainbow:

Frank :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics