• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Erric

Erric

Messenger

• -----

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:11 PM

Hi All.

I just got a a Apex 127 Mak, a good "grab & go" scope.
I also got a Slow Motion tripod adapter (allows fine control on cheap $10 camera tripods).
This works "fair" when point at the horizon. However, when I start pointing up, I feel the Telescope will break off.
There is also WAY too much vibration. Not as smart as I thought.

So, the question is, please suggest a compact, lightweight, REAL, grab & go telescope mount that can easily handle the weight of the 9 pound 127 Mak as well as a future 15+ lb reflector. Not a tiny table-top mount please.

It just needs to be able to handle the weight, has fine altazimuth controls to guide without tons of vibration, and a real dovetail attachment. Something Less than $200 will be nice.

This doesn't need to be a GEM, I'll get a full-size CGEM/Atlas for AP in a few months anyway. Just a grab & go that will replace my pathetic camera tripod.

thanks!

#2 Preston Smith

Preston Smith

The Travel Scope Guy

• Loc: Eureka, Pa

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:18 PM

Hmm... Lightweight and able to support 15 pounds.

Perhaps the new M2 Stellarvue mount?

SV M2 Mount

#3 Erric

Erric

Messenger

• -----

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:48 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.
I didn't think of a Stellarvue mount. :)

I'm also looking at the Orion VersaGo II. (if that has fine controls)..

#4 Scruffy

Scruffy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arkansas

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:26 PM

I just went through a month of searching for a grab and go mount for my small refractor. I ended up with the Quarter hitch. It is alt/az and manual. But it is high quality and every one who has commented on their experience with them has been positive about it.
I am still waiting for mine to be delivered.

here is the link:
http://www.halfhitchtelescope.com/

The Half Hitch is computer driven and the Quarter Hitch is manual. This will take you to the Half Hitch site. Look in the upper right corner of the first picture and click on the picture of the Quarter Hitch.

Two drawbacks: they are expensive and being hand madeit may take a few weeks to get one.

Let us know what you finally decide to get.

#5 zawijava

zawijava

Viking 1

• Loc: West Paris, Maine 04289

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:08 AM

The Half Hitch is computer driven and the Quarter Hitch is manual.

Just a clarification: The Half Hitch has Digital Setting Circles but it is not a "driven" mount in any way. It is a manual "push to" mount with slow motion controls as is the Quarter Hitch. The website link above will show and tell of the other similarities and differences between them.

#6 Scruffy

Scruffy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Arkansas

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:48 AM

Right Z. Sorry for the confusion. "Driven" was a poor choice of word.

#7 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:53 PM

Vixen Porta II or AstroTech Voyager...$300 ea. with slo-mo, #20 cpacity, weighing #15. Used, maybe $200.

#8 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MA

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:22 PM

A CG5 handles 15 lb scopes very well. At $600 it's a bit over your $200 price point though. It's plenty portable IMO. I carry it assembled in a padded nylon bag.

Attached Files

#9 Erric

Erric

Messenger

• -----

Posted 05 February 2010 - 07:58 PM

Hi all.
I ending up getting the "Astronomy Technologies Astro-Tech Voyager altazimuth mount "
It was the only grab&go mount I can buy in this country and has slow-mo controls.

There is a plan for a good AP mount, thinking of the Atlas, but that's a different story.
Luigi, your photo of the CG5 looks portable, I hope to get a nice bag for my future my atlas or cgem.

thanks for your help guys!

#10 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 05 February 2010 - 08:09 PM

Hi all.
I ending up getting the "Astronomy Technologies Astro-Tech Voyager altazimuth mount "

Good choice. I travel with one myself.

#11 Erric

Erric

Messenger

• -----

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:13 PM

Hi all.

Good choice. I travel with one myself.

Thanks, good to know I made a good choice :)
I also thought of the "Orion TeleTrack GoTo Altazimuth Telescope Mount" , becasue the goto ability will be conveinet sometimes.
However, I'm not sure if it can handle the size & weight of a 127 Mak well, sucks at normal terrestrial viewing, and forget about pointing the scope up completely. If I worry about batteries running out, I will need a big exernal battery and that will break the grab & go concept.

#12 jrcrilly

jrcrilly

Refractor wienie no more

• Administrators
  • Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:18 PM

However, I'm not sure if it can handle the size & weight of a 127 Mak well,

I'm not familiar with that mount. A buddy of mine uses a Voyager with the 5" Mak and it's quite solid. I use mine with whatever 80mm travel refractor I have on hand, or with a small Ha solar scope. It's almost overkill for those. Doesn't use up too much room in the luggage or weigh too much, though. ;)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics