Messier Marathon in HC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BlueGrass

BlueGrass

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wasatch Front, UT

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:51 PM

Don't know if this has been posted before, but has anyone approached Celestron about adding a marathon sequence to the HC Tour setup? With March madness only a little more than a month away (mid-month new moon), I was researching what was the most efficient way to do a marathon and it dawned on me that a HC tour program would be the ideal solution.

#2 SanDiegoPaul

SanDiegoPaul

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:32 AM

Hey, George that is a great suggestion. Perhaps one of our programming gurus on the forum could create one. Can we upload our own tours to the C mounts, as you can with the Meade SCT?

#3 Gord

Gord

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Toronto, ON, Canada

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:10 AM

Hi George,

Let me preface this by saying, I don't care personally one way or the other. But, I think I read somewhere that doing the marathon or completing the Messier observing list didn't count if it was done with a goto mount. Or at least that is the impression that I have from reading something somewhere.

At any rate, I don't care how people do it. I think having a tour of the proper sequence for the marathon is a great idea. Just being out trying to observe all these objects in one night (or as many as you can get) is an experience that I think everyone should try.

Cool idea.

Clear skies,

#4 SanDiegoPaul

SanDiegoPaul

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:44 PM

Gord, that's a club preference. In our case, they want you to do star-hopping, no GOTO ... but that doesn't mean all clubs are that way.

#5 BlueGrass

BlueGrass

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wasatch Front, UT

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:47 PM

Hmmm... didn't know about clubs having no GOTO rules when doing a marathon but it makes sense .... more knowledge and skill involved then.... but hey my goal would just to be able to complete one or as much of the list as possible from my location... as far as uploading a customized tour to the HC, I don't think that's possible, but I'll do some research and see... thanks for the ideas!....

#6 m4ilm4n

m4ilm4n

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: shadows of the Blue Ridge

Posted 05 February 2010 - 08:09 AM

I haven't tried it yet, but EQTOUR appears to have a Messier tour list (for those using EQMOD). With the two feet of snow we're supposed to get this weekend it sounds like a good time to practice.

Our club also says that to be recognized as a "true" marathon it must be completed without GOTO, although I believe DSC's are considered OK.

Great idea to have it in the HC though.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics