CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

G5 tube and SLT mount??? Will it work?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 bobbydoug

bobbydoug

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:26 PM

I have an old Celestron G5 SCT which hasn't gotten much use. I would like to put it on a GOTO type mount so my granddaughter can see the stars and have some fun. Celestron sells their SLT series starting around $300. 3 questions:
1) can I mount the G5 (6 lbs) one say the STL 60 mount?
2) are all of the mounts the same size in the SLT series (ie can I get away with a 60SLT rather than a more expensive one - since I won't be using their optics)?
3) are there any other (relatively inexpensive) alternatives?

Thanks

#2 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:39 PM

I did that. Found an SLT on Craigs list for $85. Tighten up the Altitude lock nut and balance the scope and your off to the races. Take a look at the baby nextstar group on yahoo.

#3 Pedestal

Pedestal

Skylab

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:11 PM

Ioptron makes a small Cube that works well, although I think the Celestron software is easier to use.

#4 Luigi

Luigi

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:17 PM

I put a ~6lb Lunt solar on an SLT and it works well. The tripod is the weak link. Keeping it as short as possible helps quite a bit. I plan on adapting the SLT mount to a 1.75" leg stainless tripod I have using a piece of large PVC pipe as I saw somebody else here on CN had done.

Attached Files

#5 bobbydoug

bobbydoug

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:35 PM

Thanks to you guys for the help and advice

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics