• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pogobbler

pogobbler

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Indiana, USA

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:28 AM

I've got a Celestron CG-5A that I use with my 120mm ST refractor and C9.25 sct. Given Indiana winter weather, I haven't gotten out much over the past couple months and probably won't get out much for another month or so. Late last night I ended up out in the garage and thought I'd try the CG-5A eq head on a Universal Astronomics heavy duty wood tripod I have rather than on the supplied tripod with the 2" steel legs. I noticed it was clear out, so I quickly put it out on the driveway and did some quick observing with the refractor, though not too long since it was only about 20F out and I didn't even bring a jacket out. I didn't do any real testing to see if it seemed steadier than the tripod that came with it, though it was certainly comparable in stability, and, at any rate, the better test will be with the SCT mounted on it, though it may be quite a while before I get around to testing this, so I put the question to you, whether it's your gut feeling or from actual experience which setup would like be more stable, the CG-5A eq head with the 2" steel leg tripod or the heavy duty wooden surveyors tripod?

A couple things are for certain, though, the wooden tripod is much more friendly to fingers in cold temperatures and the tripod height is easier to adjust, too, on the wooden tripod.

#2 letimotif

letimotif

No Complaints

• Loc: Actually, right here.

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:38 AM

I think you'll find the wooden tripod a bit more forgiving of vibration. Wood dampens it much better than metal. As long as you're satisfied that it won't collapse on you, keep the wood one as your default.

Some folks, though I never got around to it myself, replaced their regular CG5 tripods with wooden ones available from Hands On Optics, for about $80 IIRC. And they did so for the very reason you discovered by yourself.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics