Mars sketch 6 february

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belgium

Posted 05 February 2010 - 08:26 PM

we've had a mostly clear sky tonight with decent seeing and mars showing sinus Sabaeus toward us. for convenience is chose to use the 8" on GEM instead of the 12" dob.

when syrtis major is so close to the limb i find it difficult to see any detail in it, just a darker right edge with perhaps some clouds right next to it. sinus sabeus is very interesting in appearance tonight, it looks barely connected to SM with a pointy end (start?) and a markedly darker northern border. i've never really convincingly seen the dawes split in sinus meridiani, also not tonight, but just before sinus meridiani, sinus sabaeus stops and curves back up leaving a lighter area in between. and right next to that there's a dark pointy spot in sinus meridiani where the first of the two forks should be, with a second, less dark spot where sinus meridiani ends.
again Deucalonis showed a little brighter than it's surroundings.
the area around the north polar hood has multiple dark and light patches. just to the right of the polar cap i saw a light region, i'm not sure wheter its dessert plains, or a dust obscured part of the cap? above that a darker patch(mare boreum?), with another elongated one (mare acidalicum?)above that, with a bright patch (cloud) on top of that, below what would be margarifter sinus.

Posted Image

#2 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:43 PM

Kris,

Impressive sketch with much interesting detail recorded. Your written description was also nice to read.
Thanks for posting, all of us seperated from the night sky appreciate seeing Mars by the fine sketches you and others are posting here. :bow: :rainbow: :cool:

Frank :)

#3 S1mas

S1mas

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Lithuania

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:32 AM

Thanks Kris - very realistic picture of Mars :)

#4 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Viking 1

• Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:42 AM

Much of detail! An very subtle color and brightness shading.

#5 dweller25

dweller25

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 06 February 2010 - 07:57 AM

Very nice Kris, I wish I could draw as well as you.

I was out 2 hours earlier and seeing was quite good here in the UK too.

#6 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:11 AM

Kris,

Excellent sketch and report. The subtle variations in shading are very well done. I think your identification of features is accurate. Very interesting that you thought the following (right) side of the ice cap might be obscured by dust--there was a local dust storm coming off the cap into Mare Acidalium a few days ago right about there. :cool:

#7 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:31 AM

thanks guys, when we're clouded out we rely on sketches posted here as well to get the feeling of observing!

it nags a bit to have probably missed the best seeing since a very long time last tuesday. i couldn't observe, but saw Sirius almost rocksteady in the sky, no shivering whatsoever! i had a few nights of very good seeing the previous oppositions, but haven't gone beyound good seeing this time (not complaining though ;))

Michael; very recent images of this side of mars don't show anything like the feature i drew next to the pole cap. but some images of the 2nd of february at the CMO site do show something like what i thought to have seen. strange because i wasn't aware there has been dust activity going on in that region, and recent images suggest it's not visible anymore right now :shrug:
i also couldn't detect the darker streak crossing the pole cap either...

#8 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:37 AM

forgot to mention that when i came back to the scope after finishing the sketch inside, the image of mars looked suspiciously dark. i quickly realized the secondary had dewed up completely again, as well as part of the primary :o first time that ever happened. to top it off, water droplets from condensation had fallen right on the primary as well due to the more or less vertical position of the tube with mars being this high in the sky!:foreheadslap:
i guess i'l be cleaning the mirror one of these days, nothing but clouds and rain forecasted anyway!

#9 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:56 AM

Michael; very recent images of this side of mars don't show anything like the feature i drew next to the pole cap. but some images of the 2nd of february at the CMO site do show something like what i thought to have seen. strange because i wasn't aware there has been dust activity going on in that region, and recent images suggest it's not visible anymore right now :shrug:

I think you might be selling your observing skills a little short--look at the ice cap in this Damian Peach image made just a couple of hours before your drawing.

i also couldn't detect the darker streak crossing the pole cap either...

Try looking with a green or red filter.

#10 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 February 2010 - 03:12 PM

hmm well perhaps i did see some dust activity altough i saw something like a sharp division between the two zones. on 28 december there was a little bit of the polar cap sticking out (or a cloud or haze) which i took up in the sketch, and luckily i found this picture which showed exactly what i saw that evening!

i did shortly use a green and red filter. the view with the red one was quite dim through the 8" and actually i've never had much luck observing with the green filter :o

#11 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:53 AM

Kris
What an amount of detail you see! And you can put them on paper too! Double :bow:

#12 rerun

rerun

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany Mülheim an der Ruhr

Posted 07 February 2010 - 06:37 AM

Hallo Kris,

great sketch of Mars,with many details und good colouring.Mars observing through an 8" Dobson must be a great fun.

CS

Markus

#13 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:03 AM

thanks Jef & Markus! The 8" gives me more fun observing mars then the 12", still a bit of a mystery to me. probably as alexis says: the larger scopes resolve the seeing, which means they suffer more from poor to average seeing. and belgium isn't really famous for it's clear or still skys!

#14 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:09 AM

i've been fiddling a bit with photoshop to add the glow effect you see through the telescope. i'm not really convinced though, any idea's?

Posted Image

#15 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:49 AM

i did shortly use a green and red filter. the view with the red one was quite dim through the 8" and actually i've never had much luck observing with the green filter :o

Kris,

If you are using a Wratten 25 red filter, that one is too dark for the 8"--better for the 12". The 8" needs a W23A.

Same goes for the green filter--use a lighter one with the 8" scope.

I like your glow effect. :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics