Photo

Pencils for Deep Sky sketching

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 wyundiv

wyundiv

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:48 AM

Hi All,

I've been fairly experienced from a young age at sketching planets, but always had difficulty sketching deep-sky objects. One problem that I've always had was sort of highlighted in the July/August 2009 edition of Sky News that I read recently, the article by Mark Bratton on sketching. While I've been using regular pencils, Bratton uses a special kind of "young children" pencil called the Berol "primary printer" pencil that is easily smudged for a nice soft effect--just what you want for a deep sky object.

Since I can't find the Berol "primary printer" pencil anywhere, I thought I'd ask, what is your favorite sketching pencil to use, specifically for sketching deep sky objects monochromatically?

Thanks,

Walter

#2 FJA

FJA

Sketcher Extraordinaire

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:11 PM

Hi Walter, I use 2B and 4B pencils. The 4B is better for smudging with and something like a 5B or a 6B would be even better, if messy.

#3 TenthEnemy

TenthEnemy

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 February 2010 - 06:02 PM

I always use HB pencils, also known as #2 pencils, or as you call them: "normal pencils." For a softer pencil I prefer a 4B, but I've never had problems smudging an HB pencil.

#4 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:37 PM

This thread discusses some of the materials you can use. In the end to get started I think most of us started with a #2 pencil and white paper or sketched on an observing sheet.

#5 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:24 PM

Keep in mind that hardnesses aren't uniform across brands (or possibly even across lines within a single brand).

I like a Daler-Rowney Artists Graphic HB, but in Derwent Graphic the HB is way too hard (I'd guess a 2B or 3B in that line would be about right for me).

-- Jeff.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics