CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pencils for Deep Sky sketching

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 wyundiv

wyundiv

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:48 AM

Hi All,

I've been fairly experienced from a young age at sketching planets, but always had difficulty sketching deep-sky objects. One problem that I've always had was sort of highlighted in the July/August 2009 edition of Sky News that I read recently, the article by Mark Bratton on sketching. While I've been using regular pencils, Bratton uses a special kind of "young children" pencil called the Berol "primary printer" pencil that is easily smudged for a nice soft effect--just what you want for a deep sky object.

Since I can't find the Berol "primary printer" pencil anywhere, I thought I'd ask, what is your favorite sketching pencil to use, specifically for sketching deep sky objects monochromatically?

Thanks,

Walter

#2 FJA

FJA

Sketcher Extraordinaire

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:11 PM

Hi Walter, I use 2B and 4B pencils. The 4B is better for smudging with and something like a 5B or a 6B would be even better, if messy.

#3 TenthEnemy

TenthEnemy

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 February 2010 - 06:02 PM

I always use HB pencils, also known as #2 pencils, or as you call them: "normal pencils." For a softer pencil I prefer a 4B, but I've never had problems smudging an HB pencil.

#4 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:37 PM

This thread discusses some of the materials you can use. In the end to get started I think most of us started with a #2 pencil and white paper or sketched on an observing sheet.

#5 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:24 PM

Keep in mind that hardnesses aren't uniform across brands (or possibly even across lines within a single brand).

I like a Daler-Rowney Artists Graphic HB, but in Derwent Graphic the HB is way too hard (I'd guess a 2B or 3B in that line would be about right for me).

-- Jeff.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics