Mars 2/7/10, 100mm refractor

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mathteacher

mathteacher

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Oakland, CA

Posted 07 February 2010 - 03:13 AM

I went to an early movie tonight just to catch Mars at the right time. I was pretty lucky because as soon as I finished the sketch, clouds rolled in. Most of the sketch was done with a light yellow #12 filter. I finished with the light blue #82A to see if I would catch more details. There was a cloud on the preceding limb and there appeared to be a light band across the equator. Mare Acidalium and Niliacus lacus appeared to form a "Z" shape and I saw a dark band extend from them in fleeting moments. Checking the Calsky simulation revealed no such feature, so it may be an error on my part. Anyhow, I'm glad I got to observe for about an hour. It's good therapy.

Posted Image

#2 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:26 AM

Nice sketch. I like the way how you sketch the subtle differences in albedo on Mars.
When I see all those Marssketches I have the impression it is easier to draw the planet in black/white than in colour. I find it far more difficult to put the differences in albedo on paper with colour pencils.

#3 Kris.

Kris.

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belgium

Posted 07 February 2010 - 06:55 AM

good sketh Ging-Li, especially using a rather small aperture scope! i've seen the Z-shape as well :) the light band across the equator would be Chryse & Xanthe if i'm correct. some images do seem to show a lighter region or clouds on the following limb, which is left on your drawing.

Jef, it's 'easier' to sketch in B&W, i just mean, the subtle albedo differences are easier to represent then using colours. the scanner may also reduce contrast more or less using colours...

#4 rerun

rerun

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Germany Mülheim an der Ruhr

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:25 AM

Hallo,

good sketch of the other side of Mars.When I observed Mars last time I saw the side with Syrtis Major.In this area you sketched is much more difficult to see so many details with a 4" refractor. :bow:

CS

Markus

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:47 AM

Ging-Li,

You have recorded a beautiful view of Mars. Very nice work. :bow:

Frank :)

#6 mathteacher

mathteacher

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Oakland, CA

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:53 AM

Thanks for your replies! I just got started with sketching.... I'll try color at some point but I think it is harder, too! Color sketches of mars do look better though.

I don't have a scanner so I've been taking pictures with my cheap digital camera. I noticed the pictures lost contrast, so I adjust them in GIMP to look like my original sketch. I learned this useful skill while doing astrophotography. All these disciplines intermesh :D

#7 phxbird

phxbird

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico, USA

Posted 07 February 2010 - 06:17 PM

Surprisingly enough the scanner seems to record to much detail. My sketches come out looking like a newspaper picture under magnification! Nothing like the actual sketch! I probably should use Gimp in the same way to make it look more like it should!

#8 dweller25

dweller25

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lancashire, UK

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:04 AM

Great sketch,you caught the NPC indent - I have yet to see that although I have noticed the NPC has become quite dim.

#9 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier County, WV 38N, 80W

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:05 PM

Nice work--very well rendered eyepiece view. The North Polar Cap is going through changes--keep watching it if you have the weather.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics