CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sketching M37...NOT!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 mathteacher

mathteacher

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:56 AM

I had a thought about sketching M37. I found it at 28x in my 100mm refractor. It looked like a loose glob. Then I cranked the power to 120x and WOW, stars were everywhere. I must have had great transparency tonight because M37 never looked this good. I did not know where to start. There were star chains going every which way. Okay, maybe not that impossible but I was overwhelmed. Using my altaz mount at 120x gave me very little time to divide the object into manageable parts. When I backed off to 60x, I had lost a significant number of dimmer stars and the view was less impressive. I think I needed to attempt my first DSO sketch with something less grand. I give everyone lots of respect for your DSO renderings.

#2 S1mas

S1mas

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:22 AM

Hehe, I recognize that feeling somehow :D

Same I had with M37 - but got it from like third attempt. Tried M46 to begin twice... NO luck yet :)
Anyway, for complex objects like M37, M46, or globulars I need an quite big inspiration wave to start. If there is not enough of that feeling, Im going for easier objects.
Just dont push yourself much :)

#3 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:51 AM

Mathteacher,

Try NGC 2169 in Orion. Not a lot of stars but a small and pretty open cluster. It is mid way and below Xi Orionis and Nu Orionis.

#4 mathteacher

mathteacher

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:39 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, Jay. That is the "37" cluster. I've been able to observe it in the city.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics